Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

If you had an Argentine friend in a really bad situation

Living at home at 21, working 7 days a week earning a pathetic wage in pesos with the cost of everything going up, what advice could you realistically give then? Anything at all ? Or is it all just hopeless. And if they are asking you for advice but you know their situation is hopeless what would you reply
It is not uncommon to live at home with the parents here still at 21 years old. I know many people that are still living with their parents. So that part isn't anything crazy.

Working 7 days a week is a lot but more and more people have to do that just to afford to pay the bills. I have friends that had to get a 2nd job to survive.

Not sure what advice I could give. Argentina is in a bad recession. I would say look at the glass half full. I know some people that lost jobs and can't find a new one so instead of looking at the negative, look at the positive that they have a job.

Learn english, learn software development.
This is probably the best advice to learn English or other skills that would be needed. You will have more opportunities not only locally but also possibly remote work. Agree with Larry that it is not uncommon for someone 21 still to be living at home. Most wages would be considered pathetic. What is their wage? Much of the country is living in poverty. Unfortunately that isn't going to change quickly.

Living at home at 21, working 7 days a week earning a pathetic wage in pesos with the cost of everything going up, what advice could you realistically give then? Anything at all ? Or is it all just hopeless. And if they are asking you for advice but you know their situation is hopeless what would you reply
I don't think living at home is too rare here. My girlfriend has some friends that are older than that and still living at home. Some of her wealthier friends do have their own places but they are very well off and I am not sure that is the norm here. Rents for people here are expensive in the city.

Economy is poor here. I normally don't agree with @Larry but he is probably correct that they are lucky to have a job now. It could be much worse. I would stay positive and don't be negative. Advise your friend to learn more skills or ask what their goal is. Not too many people are making great salaries now.

I read a post on X where a father was talking about his daughter working hard and only making $400 dollars a month. Salaries here are not too high. What are they doing in their job? Is it the same job the entire week?

Learn english, learn software development.
Agree. All my friends that are in tech or software development are doing pretty good in Argentina. They have decent jobs. It seems like many companies are outsourcing developers or coders there. I was surprised with how few people in Argentina speak English. I thought it would be higher but it seemed like only about 1 in 10 spoke English. Learning English would give him/her a big leg up.

I wouldn't say it is all hopeless. It looks like salaries are coming up in most jobs at least beating inflation. Maybe tell them to look on the bright side. Maybe try to find a better paying job so they can take the weekends off. I'm not sure what skills they have.

This sounds like many people I met during my trip there. You will find more people in this situation than people in great situations with their own places, independent and making great salaries. I only met a few people that had it well and they were from well off families. What I noticed is that many locals that are well off only hang out with other people that were well off. I met one and then got introduced to their friends and we went out but they seemed far from normal.

I met a few girls at clubs and they were struggling like your friend. Mostly living at home still. Most working 6 days a week.

Agree. All my friends that are in tech or software development are doing pretty good in Argentina. They have decent jobs. It seems like many companies are outsourcing developers or coders there. I was surprised with how few people in Argentina speak English. I thought it would be higher but it seemed like only about 1 in 10 spoke English. Learning English would give him/her a big leg up.

I wouldn't say it is all hopeless. It looks like salaries are coming up in most jobs at least beating inflation. Maybe tell them to look on the bright side. Maybe try to find a better paying job so they can take the weekends off. I'm not sure what skills they have.
That is what I found too @Uncle Wong that most don't speak English. Maybe like 15% of the people I met. I speak decent Spanish so I could communicate but I am surprised more don't take the time to learn. It would open opportunities for them.

From my experience 99 % of Argetines are just too lazy and dull to ever learn English sad but true sorry not sorry
That was my experience also. A few girls that I met were doing the bare minimum. I asked about goals and they really had none. Seems like many are just doing the bare minimum. No desire to learn English. Not saying they need to but I was suggesting things like that or studying in another useful degree. I heard university there is free so I would ask why they don't enroll in classes or study something or learn English and no desire at all.

This is the sad reality for many people right now in Argentina. Hopefully things are changing. Maybe tell your friend to think positively. Inflation is slowing down and salaries have gone up lately. Not too much but at least matching inflation. It is true many are out of work now.

One can't lose hope. I have an adult child that is living at home and you may be looking at it negatively @MickMolloy but many right now are looking at that as a positive that they have parents to support them and a roof over their heads. The alternative is worse. My kids all learned English so they have better jobs that pay more.

Try to have your friend stay positive.

I wish I could say this was not normal but also have people in worse shape than this. I have friends older than that living at home. I have one friend that I have been helping a little each month financially. The difficult thing is I feel bad if I stop but their situation also seems hopeless. I started during COVID and help out a little bit each month. Even $100 dollars a month isn't too much for me but for them it's the difference in eating.

The biggest problem is that their bills have increased so much. Seems like there is a lot of discussion about inflation going down but that doesn't match what they are telling me. All of their main bills have gone up. Rent, monthly condo expenses, utility bills, telephone, food.

There is nothing wrong with living with your parents until you actually need the extra space, perhaps until after you get married and/or have a child. I think such arrangements should be encouraged and not looked upon as some kind of failure. It's good for the finances of everyone and also good for the environment. Financial independence is achieved quicker by pooling resources and saving money. You are not truly independent until you have achieved financial independence. If Mommy and/or Daddy is helping you with any bills at all while you live in 'your own place', you're not independent! The kids will have the chance to live totally independently for many decades during their lifetime. That extra few years living at home can allow them to build a great financial foundation. For anyone who claims to feel strongly about global warming and the environment, I would like to hear how you justify faster household formation by having the kids move out earlier.

As young adults, just starting out in their careers, with limited experience, it should be normal for them to make a lot less and work much harder. For those who disagree with that, then they should blame their parents for bringing them up feeling so entitled and special.

There is nothing wrong with living with your parents until you actually need the extra space, perhaps until after you get married and/or have a child. I think such arrangements should be encouraged and not looked upon as some kind of failure. It's good for the finances of everyone and also good for the environment. Financial independence is achieved quicker by pooling resources and saving money. You are not truly independent until you have achieved financial independence. If Mommy and/or Daddy is helping you with any bills at all while you live in 'your own place', you're not independent! The kids will have the chance to live totally independently for many decades during their lifetime. That extra few years living at home can allow them to build a great financial foundation. For anyone who claims to feel strongly about global warming and the environment, I would like to hear how you justify faster household formation by having the kids move out earlier.

As young adults, just starting out in their careers, with limited experience, it should be normal for them to make a lot less and work much harder. For those who disagree with that, then they should blame their parents for bringing them up feeling so entitled and special.
I agree with you @TonyTigre. Kids these days are in a rush to leave the house so early. I always tell mine they will have plenty of time later in life but they all still want to rush out and live alone. My wife and I stress to them there is no rush but some kids are in a rush.

I am no expert but this seems to be the same in Mexico too with friends that live at home longer. In Argentina with the very poor economy, I am not surprised to read that it takes longer to leave. @MickMolloy this sounds like it is normal. Sad but probably nothing in the near future you can do for them. I agree maybe learning new skills or trying to learn English might help them get a different and better job.

I read in another thread how tourism was a huge part of the economy in Argentina. If truly only 15% of people speak English, then just learning English would help get them a job in tourism, hotel, restaurant, company dealing with tourists and I would think they could get a better job.

First what does he want and what skills does he have right now, even if they're minimal. Does he want to be able to live in his own place or is it working 7 days a week he can't afford to save or go out due to prices and low wages, or something else? Advice is only as useful as the direction it leads and the effort one is willing to follow it.

First what does he want and what skills does he have right now, even if they're minimal. Does he want to be able to live in his own place or is it working 7 days a week he can't afford to save or go out due to prices and low wages, or something else? Advice is only as useful as the direction it leads and the effort one is willing to follow it.
Totally 100%. Tony nailed it. Living home shouldn't be looked at negatively. Imagine if they tried to live on their own they would never make it. All the news I am reading talks about the crazy inflation. It may be slowing down but it's still unbelievably high. Even if you can afford to live on your own today doesn't mean you will be able to afford it a few months from now.

My girlfriend's father owns a business and all the employees keep asking for raises every few months. This is a recession and business is very tough. He has given a few raises but he said if he has to keep doing it he will just shut down the company. He can't raise his prices as it is as people aren't buying like before. So this is one big spiral downwards. Your friend should feel fortunate to have a job.

Lots of people in Argentina and other places too complain how life isn't fair but don't do anything to change their lives. Granted things are very tough now in Argentina but people are still getting by. Living at home at 21 isn't the worst thing out there. That is totally normal here and many other countries in Latin America too.

Yes, that’s very common here. I understood this after meeting locals. I was surprised to learn that many people in their twenties still live with their parents, even though they’re adults. Many do it to save money, while others can’t afford to rent an apartment on their salary. People here simply don’t cut ties with their parents like we do in the U.S., where we often use the excuse of being independent because we’re adults. Customs here are different. Nowadays, there’s no excuse not to keep learning. There are many free online courses, and you can even learn on YouTube, you just need the willpower. So, I’d recommend that friend continue to educate himself to progress.

I wouldn't worry too much about them. At least your friend has a roof over their head. You can either complain or just make the most of things and be thankful for what you have.

I just saw this lady on X that takes the bus everyday from CABA to La Plata back and forth because it's the only job she can find. She probably hates that but sucks it up and says that the increases in bus are necessary. I would tell your friend some people have it much worse.

This is great advice. From what we see here, living at home with parents is not uncommon. We see this with several of our neighbors. The kids don't look sad to be at home. And everyone works and contributes to helping parents pay bills. I wouldn't look at this situation as something hopeless or pathetic.

This isn't hopeless or a struggle at all. I assume you are American @MickMolloy? Only an American would look at this situation as hopeless. There are real people going through real struggles around the world and this isn't one of them. Things could be much worse! Trust me on this one.

Back