Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Price of Beef will skyrocket at Parillas and steak restaurants! Good time to become a vegeterian!

If folks can't be bothered to do a little homework before casting their votes, well, that's their own special choice of adventure. It's not like Milei's game plan was hidden in a treasure chest guarded by dragons. It was out there, clear as day, waiting for anyone with five minutes of attention span to grab a clue.

If folks can't be bothered to do a little homework before casting their votes, well, that's their own special choice of adventure. It's not like Milei's game plan was hidden in a treasure chest guarded by dragons. It was out there, clear as day, waiting for anyone with five minutes of attention span to grab a clue.
Certainly, no one disputes that fact. What I would like to emphasize is the likelihood that a considerable number of Milei's supporters may shift their allegiance at the onset of any inconvenience. The prospect of public demonstrations seems imminent, and the unfolding events will undoubtedly reveal the trajectory.

One can only hope that such expressions of discontent remain confined to peaceful marches, and do not escalate into widespread violence, although the evolving atmosphere has taken on a somewhat disconcerting tone. Perhaps my perception errs on the side of pessimism, but an undeniable shift has occurred, and its initial character has not been particularly auspicious.

Oh, pretty please, Mileistas and Milei enthusiasts, enlighten me! Show me the magical realm where the "caste" has graciously opened their wallets for this grand adjustment we're all supposed to be embracing. I've got a laundry list of ways the poor and working poor are feeling the squeeze, but oddly enough, I'm struggling to spot a single tangible sacrifice made by the oh-so-generous "caste." And just for kicks, while we're at it, let's not forget Milei's little proposal to give a free pass on up to $100,000 USD, a sweet deal that even officials get to enjoy. Now, call me crazy, but if that's not a lovely gift basket for the "caste," I'm not sure what qualifies anymore. Cheers to the generosity!

So, here's the scoop – folks mostly voted with a side of fury, you know, the whole emotion buffet, not exactly a gourmet reason feast. Fair enough, they've got a right to be mad, and Milei rode that anger wave like a surfing champion. Now, though, it's bill-paying time for all those dishes that got smashed, and surprise, surprise, it's not the "casta" grabbing the check.

I'm not completely sold on this idea. A lot of the folks who voted for Milei were already living a pretty libertarian lifestyle before he and his ideas showed up. They had long ditched the idea of the state meddling in their daily lives, not just as some abstract ideal, but in real actions. Let's break it down:

1. Under-the-table work: Many were already working off the books, agreeing on conditions without getting the state involved. There are about 6 million Argentine workers completely off the books and countless others partially.
  2. Off-the-books renting: They were making rental agreements outside of the rules set by the state.
  3. Tax evasion: Ever heard of a discount for cash or paying extra for card payments? It's a common informal transaction with minimal state involvement.
  4. Private services: Paying for private health care, education, and even security when they could afford it, despite similar services being available from the state.
  5. Dolar blue and bypassing capital controls: The world's biggest currency black market, happening on a large scale.
Personally, I think the Argentine mindset is pretty neoliberal, at least on a micro level. Make a law, and Argentines will find a way around it before it's even printed in the official gazette. Politics has become like a football match, where people pick sides and shout slogans in public, but at home, they play by their own rules because the rules on the field are just for show. Many of these voters have gotten tired of the effort it takes to avoid a state they see as toxic and draining, pushing things onto them that they don't necessarily want or value.

Milei's bold talk and chainsaw-wielding theatrics just resonated with their own experiences and needs. It created a political platform that matched their realities, giving them a voice.

And on another note, I'm not a fan of the somewhat neo-colonial, narcissistic, patriarchal, and classist attitude of some anti-Milei folks, acting like "the poor natives can't think for themselves." It brings to mind an Argentina from before universal suffrage, where the elite sipped cognac and decided what's good for everyone else. Not a vibe I'm feeling.

I look around, and it feels like Argentina just voted for Thanksgiving – a nation of turkeys. And it makes me sad. Some posters think everyone should've totally understood what they were voting for, as if that were even possible. Spoiler alert: it wasn't. Milei and his advisors did this weird dance of proposing stuff and then taking it back. Oh, and some other posters think we should ignore the theatrics – basically, choose which parts of Milei's "program" to believe. It's all a bit much, sorry.

Now, picture this: what kind of anti-corruption plan would say it's cool to hire people off the books (you know, "en negro")? Or decide, "Hey, forget anti-nepotism – let Milei and his buddies hire all their family members"? Sturznegger was whining about how people complain that the DNU (Decree of Necessity and Urgency) has too many parts. Well, duh! It's a mix of bad drafting and a bunch of unnecessary stuff. And why on earth does the DNU allow foreign ships to fish in Argentinian waters? It's like amateur hour at the Casa Rosada – a bunch of ideologues playing with fire, and we're the ones getting burned. I don't see this ending well. And if Milei is threatening that things will only get better in 15 years, well, that's a pretty lousy punchline to this whole joke.

Thinking about going vegetarian? Argentina tops the charts in beef consumption, chomping down 48kg per person each year – more than the USA and Australia combined.

Now, let's talk numbers. The current inflation is a wild 35% per month or even more, totaling a jaw-dropping yearly rate of 400% plus. At this speed, prices might just about double in the next 90 days. Hold on tight because rents might follow the same crazy pace! And if the blue (currency exchange rate) hits 2,000 pesos, are we in the clear? Laugh out loud, seriously.

Argentina's economy is like a whole other universe, a Metaverso, where a Secret Uncle (IMF) covered a big chunk of citizens' bills for years. But, surprise, that party's over! Now, folks are expected to tip their hats to Uncle S (IMF) for covering their costs for so long. The bill has come due, and it's time to settle up for all those years of expenses.

Thinking about going vegetarian? Argentina tops the charts in beef consumption, chomping down 48kg per person each year – more than the USA and Australia combined.

Now, let's talk numbers. The current inflation is a wild 35% per month or even more, totaling a jaw-dropping yearly rate of 400% plus. At this speed, prices might just about double in the next 90 days. Hold on tight because rents might follow the same crazy pace! And if the blue (currency exchange rate) hits 2,000 pesos, are we in the clear? Laugh out loud, seriously.

Argentina's economy is like a whole other universe, a Metaverso, where a Secret Uncle (IMF) covered a big chunk of citizens' bills for years. But, surprise, that party's over! Now, folks are expected to tip their hats to Uncle S (IMF) for covering their costs for so long. The bill has come due, and it's time to settle up for all those years of expenses.
So, here's a wild thought – how about turning this chaos into a chance to cut down on health spending? Maybe dodge those bills for coronary heart disease and colon cancer treatments? Just a little silver lining in the midst of all the craziness.

So, here's a wild thought – how about turning this chaos into a chance to cut down on health spending? Maybe dodge those bills for coronary heart disease and colon cancer treatments? Just a little silver lining in the midst of all the craziness.
I don't think you can get the locals to stop eating so much beef. Everywhere I go I see people eating beef. Never seen anything like it in the world.

Yesterday evening I walked by La Cabrera and glanced at the menu. I was shocked by what I saw. You would now need about $72 US dollars to order an Entree for your main course and then a glass of mediocre wine. In 2003 it was less than $16 US dollars. You all say that I say the sky is falling but really what do you call this? The blue rate is being manipulated right now creating tremendous price spike in dollars on all products.

Yesterday evening I walked by La Cabrera and glanced at the menu. I was shocked by what I saw. You would now need about $72 US dollars to order an Entree for your main course and then a glass of mediocre wine. In 2003 it was less than $16 US dollars. You all say that I say the sky is falling but really what do you call this? The blue rate is being manipulated right now creating tremendous price spike in dollars on all products.

For Argentina standards that doesn't seem too bad. 19% per year inflation? You can get a much better steak for MUCH less at other places. You would be better served not to use a tourist trap restaurant where prices are elevated for tourist sheep.

@Larry has come up with a new conspiracy theory for price inflation. Ha.

@Larry has come up with a new conspiracy theory for price inflation. Ha.
Before, Massa was kind of keeping the blue dollar rate artificially low during the election, so it's not too surprising to think that something similar might be happening now. Especially because the folks who influence the blue dollar rate usually share Milei's views.

But when it comes to the official financial market, that's where you'll probably notice the most changes. The CCL is almost at $1,200 now. Milei isn't letting the central bank (BCRA) step in there (at least not yet), unlike what Massa and Guzman did. So, it's likely the best measure for the dollar's value.

what good is chemo if you're basically killing the patient? That's my fear
so your SIL wants to just keep printing more money and spending it like a drunken sailor on "Art" and "Public Works"? what's the solution, other than to pay-off debt and scale-back for 4 years?

so much beef.
eating red meat doesn't contribute to heart disease...this has been debunked, and was a 90s lie by Big Food and Big Pharma. same for eggs increasing cholesterol, whole milk being bad, vegetable/seed oils being better than butter/lard; it's all wrong. back to basics, don't overthink things. eat natural foods, not refined carbohydrates and things made in laboratories. holler if you want academic articles and surgeons who advocate for meat and vegetables.

eating red meat doesn't contribute to heart disease...this has been debunked, and was a 90s lie by Big Food and Big Pharma. same for eggs increasing cholesterol, whole milk being bad, vegetable/seed oils being better than butter/lard; it's all wrong. back to basics, don't overthink things. eat natural foods, not refined carbohydrates and things made in laboratories. holler if you want academic articles and surgeons who advocate for meat and vegetables.
I agree. I am trying to stay away from processed food and sugar and it's made a difference for me.

That is nuts! Did you happen to take a photo of the menu? What type of steak was it? I had heard that Don Julio has steaks now over $100 USD each. I saw a photo on Twitter. Are the lines still long at those prices? Don Julio has good steak but that is highway robbery. I wonder if tourists will pay $100 USD for a steak in Argentina. I haven't eaten there in a while now. I refuse to pay USA prices for steak in Argentina. I don't think La Cabrera is anywhere near the quality of Don Julio. If they are really charging $70 USD for a steak and a glass of wine then I hope things slow down.

They have the 40% off menu that I go to but I stopped going to that as well as they rush you too much. If people can take some photos of the menus and post them. I'm in the USA now until next month.

Back in 2003, dining at Don Julio cost you a mere 10 bucks per person, and now in 2024, it's a whopping 120 dollars – that's more inflation than my attempts at telling jokes! Now, if we're bracing ourselves for a wild 250% inflation by 2025 and the dollar stays as flat as a pancake, we might need to start saving our spare change to afford that steak dinner. Who knows, by then, we might need a loan just to order dessert!

Back in 2003, dining at Don Julio cost you a mere 10 bucks per person, and now in 2024, it's a whopping 120 dollars – that's more inflation than my attempts at telling jokes! Now, if we're bracing ourselves for a wild 250% inflation by 2025 and the dollar stays as flat as a pancake, we might need to start saving our spare change to afford that steak dinner. Who knows, by then, we might need a loan just to order dessert!

So, in 2003, Argentina had some interesting things going on just after the crash. Just curious, how much did stuff cost around 1998 or 1999?

Wait, did Don Julio even exist back then?

I don't think Don Julio is the best gauge for measuring inflation, especially over such a long time. In 2013, it was known, just a regular spot for tourists with good meat. I could afford it, and I was quite the penny-pincher. The last time I went was at the end of 2015, and it had already become pricier than I thought was reasonable. I considered it more of a tourist trap.

Now I hear they've got a Michelin star? Suddenly, the prices have doubled overnight. It's a place for a certain crowd now, definitely not folks like me. I'll stick to cheaper asado joints. I doubt tourists or even expats would bother with those spots.

Back