Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Thread: President Javier Milei - Decree of Necessity and Urgency (DNU) in real-time

Let's hope that with the passing of this, he starts being more reasonable. They need to get all of these halted public works projects started again and people back to work.

In a sign of thawing tensions, the government handed hundreds of previously halted public works projects over to the provinces so they could restart them, although funding assurances are less clear. Milei is gearing up to sign a pact with the nation’s governors laying out the framework for Argentina’s future on July 9, the country’s independence day.

The artilcle highlights the closure of TELAM the public news agency - this is not a backward step in any sense.

Telam was a mouth piece for the kirchneritsas in the governemet
Four months after the government suddenly shut down Argentina's public news agency, Télam, they've officially turned it into an ad agency. For the workers who were on paid leave, there will be a job. They will be transferred to other public or third-party media, as stated in the decree. "All of Télam's resources - including staff, news services, and other assets - will be transferred to other public media."

People can criticize him, but in just a few months, he’s achieving what others haven’t in years. He’s getting other countries to take notice of us and strengthening our trade relationships.

Agree with you @demon. I think that's why his popularity is still fairly high. People see he is trying something new. They see the past ways aren't going to work. He isn't doing everything right but I think it's smart he will spend more time focusing around Argentina instead of flying around and meeting with right wing groups.

Just read this analysis and thought it had some good points. I wish some people close to Milei would give him better advice to control his narcissism. He can disagree with some world leaders but he should just keep certain things to himself. He was wrong on China and blasted them and now has come begging with hat in hand. He would be a much better President if he toned it down a bit including his narcissism.

The Omnibus passing was the best thing for Milei detractors. Because now he can't stop blaming someone else for his poor decisions. I still wonder if he will finish his term in office.

The Omnibus passing was the best thing for Milei detractors. Because now he can't stop blaming someone else for his poor decisions. I still wonder if he will finish his term in office.

Very true @Larry. I am guessing that Milei saying he will get the Nobel Prize will become a meme in the future. People will be laughing about that. Read this article. As it correctly mentions - helicopters should be on standby.

Contrary to Milei saying that catastrophe was averted, things seem to be getting worse.

Good to see some foreign companies already planning on bringing in hundreds of millions of dollars under the new RIGI scheme.

And reality sets in. Study after study noting how Argentines are fairing worse off under Milei.

The Omnibus is officially in place. Hopefully there is a big turn around.

View attachment 6606
Yes a turn around. Things turning around for the worse. I wonder how much longer people will wait to see this not work. He need to keep helicopter on standby...

The full text of the agreement that the president and the governors will sign tonight reads as follows:

1. The inviolability of private property.

2. The non-negotiable fiscal balance.

3. The reduction of public spending to historical levels, around 25% of the Gross Domestic Product.

4. A useful and modern initial, primary and secondary education, with full literacy and without dropping out of school.

5. A tax reform that reduces tax pressure, simplifies the lives of Argentines and promotes trade.

6. The rediscussion of federal tax sharing to put an end forever to the current extortionate model suffered by the provinces.

7. The commitment of the Argentine provinces to advance in the exploitation of the country's natural resources.

8. A modern labor reform that promotes formal work.

9. A pension reform that gives sustainability to the system and respects those who contributed.

10. Opening to international trade, so that Argentina once again becomes a protagonist in the global market.

Last edited:
So much for that Nobel prize. Now he is blaming Massa for the blue dollar rate spiking and also blaming lawmakers for delays in achievements. You can't make this up.

I think it's wise that the President is postponing some increases in taxes and utility prices. Everyone is complaining that utility rates already have gone up but it sounds like they are going to go up even more. And smart with subway and bus fares too. Fixing inflation isn't going to be easy.

For selfish reasons I hope blue dollar goes even higher.

I think it's wise that the President is postponing some increases in taxes and utility prices. Everyone is complaining that utility rates already have gone up but it sounds like they are going to go up even more. And smart with subway and bus fares too. Fixing inflation isn't going to be easy.

For selfish reasons I hope blue dollar goes even higher.

Agree. Too much too soon is not going to win hearts and minds.

Back