Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

What happens if Argentina gets too expensive? What are alternative cities/countries to move to when it's overpriced in Argentina?

Guys, but that happens all over Europe and many parts of Asia, as well.

The food of a country is what its people like. Most Argentines like their food mild. The northwestern provinces have very hot weather, a completely different climate, it makes sense that their diet would also be different. The rest of Argentina has moderate and cold climate and the food is very European.
Agree. I find the same thing in Colombia. It's amazing how much it can differ from country to country in Latin America.

Wow food costs seem cheap there. I keep reading about how Argentina is expensive but I just looked at what this guy spend for all this food and it seems cheap.

You keep reading here that food is expensive in Argentina because you are not in a tourist forum, Jenn, this is an expat forum. The people who post here are actually living in the country and thus have a very different POV.

Yes, for you, if you end up coming here for a visit, Argentina will be dirt cheap. For those expats on a fixed income, Argentina is not as cheap as it used to be.

You keep reading here that food is expensive in Argentina because you are not in a tourist forum, Jenn, this is an expat forum. The people who post here are actually living in the country and thus have a very different POV.

Yes, for you, if you end up coming here for a visit, Argentina will be dirt cheap. For those expats on a fixed income, Argentina is not as cheap as it used to be.
Not just on this forum but I read on many different places including Twitter how expensive Buenos Aires has become. I think part of the problem is that the city was flooded last year with bloggers that posted how cheap it was. Then people planned trips and arrived a few months later and prices already doubled.

There is nothing I hated more than seeing post after post on Tik Tok last year of people bragging how cheap it was here.

I know it can be confusing because people are confused that conditions can change so suddenly within a few months but such is life in Argentina. Things can change quickly. And who knows, the dollar could get high again on the blue market. It's not dirt cheap anymore and those on a fixed income find it very difficult when prices jup so suddenly.

Not just on this forum but I read on many different places including Twitter how expensive Buenos Aires has become. I think part of the problem is that the city was flooded last year with bloggers that posted how cheap it was. Then people planned trips and arrived a few months later and prices already doubled.

There is nothing I hated more than seeing post after post on Tik Tok last year of people bragging how cheap it was here.

I know it can be confusing because people are confused that conditions can change so suddenly within a few months but such is life in Argentina. Things can change quickly. And who knows, the dollar could get high again on the blue market. It's not dirt cheap anymore and those on a fixed income find it very difficult when prices jup so suddenly.
Agree with you Vince. I noticed a lot of bloggers and Tik Tok folks were posting last year. I always know when my friends and family start sending me Whatsapp messages of those videos asking me if things are really that cheap. The power of social media is incredible now. I never had more messages from friends than last year. Some planned trips here to come soon but prices are already double from a few months ago.

I was just curious did any expats end up moving out of Argentina since Milei got elected due to cost of living increase? I had a friend move to Colombia but he said he is planning on moving back to BA again. He moved out when it was 1,000 pesos to 1 but now at 1,500 to $1 and inflation slowly down he is planning to move back. He said it was horrible for lifestyle compared to BA.

I was just curious did any expats end up moving out of Argentina since Milei got elected due to cost of living increase? I had a friend move to Colombia but he said he is planning on moving back to BA again. He moved out when it was 1,000 pesos to 1 but now at 1,500 to $1 and inflation slowly down he is planning to move back. He said it was horrible for lifestyle compared to BA.
I moved because of the 20 years before Milei.

What city did your friend move to? Sounds like he moved just a little while ago. That was quick!

What city did your friend move to? Sounds like he moved just a little while ago. That was quick!
He moved to Medellin. He lived in Buenos Aires for several years but it just got too expensive for him. He was in his apartment for 2 years but his long term contract ended in BA and the owner jacked up the rent over 250% of what he was paying before. He couldn't get another rental without paying 1 year up front. He didn't want to do that.

Moved to Medellin but he had a few bad incidents happen. He got robbed there and a girl drugged him and stole his laptop. He misses the walkability of Buenos Aires. He also said Colombia really isn't cheap.

My best friend who was an expat moved to Spain earlier this year. So far he likes it there. He doesn't plan on coming back to BA. He said his cost of living is less in Spain vs. BA.

There are cheaper places in Latin America but I don't know of any that has the same lifestyle or culture of BA. Medellin seems like it would be a huge step backwards. But it depends on what you're looking for. You can't compare the two cities.

I moved because of the 20 years before Milei.
Same as most of my friends that ended up moving. Even if they recently left they blame Peronism for the past 20 years. Many are itching to move back but waiting to see what happens later this year. For many it's not just about cost of living but lack of opportunities here. Argentina is a great country to live if you're an expat and already have significant resources or savings in dollars. Some of my North American expat friends have purchased properties here years ago and they are going to be ok no matter what happens here.

Same as most of my friends that ended up moving. Even if they recently left they blame Peronism for the past 20 years. Many are itching to move back but waiting to see what happens later this year. For many it's not just about cost of living but lack of opportunities here. Argentina is a great country to live if you're an expat and already have significant resources or savings in dollars. Some of my North American expat friends have purchased properties here years ago and they are going to be ok no matter what happens here.
What is there to move back to? Things are just as bad or worse here in Argentina. The inflation in dollars for food and services from last year is painful. Dining out at a restaurant is 150% more than last year. Poverty has increased. Crime has increased. Desperation has increased during the recession.

I am paying about $27 dollars on average for a dinner just for myself. Imagine at the rate of inflation what this will cost next year. Prices keep going up with no signs of slowing down. They are saying the utility rates will keep going up.

What is there to move back to? Things are just as bad or worse here in Argentina. The inflation in dollars for food and services from last year is painful. Dining out at a restaurant is 150% more than last year. Poverty has increased. Crime has increased. Desperation has increased during the recession.

I am paying about $27 dollars on average for a dinner just for myself. Imagine at the rate of inflation what this will cost next year. Prices keep going up with no signs of slowing down. They are saying the utility rates will keep going up.
No doubt things have gotten more expensive.

Back