Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Worst things about Buenos Aires besides dog poop?

Wow lots of nuggets of info. I don't think people are ragging on BA. I just think someone asked for the negatives but for sure there are worse cities around the world. BA isn't perfect but no city is.
Agreed. I think it is perfectly fine for people to list things they don't like about Buenos Aires. I actually agree with all of these things. Not saying other cities don't also have it bad. I don't think that is the point of this thread. I can't add to this list. It seems like most of the things that people complain about.

I think it is perfectly fine for people to list things they don't like about Buenos Aires. I actually agree with all of these things. Not saying other cities don't also have it bad. I don't think that is the point of this thread.
yes, agreed, but it's not helpful to would-be Expats to list things that are found in every big city! what would you disagree with @Jeep about my comment?
a lot of these responses would apply to any city over 100,000 people.
there's so much unique about BsAs that it's distracting to say 'in this city of 13 million people there is some air pollution' - i think perspective compared to other cities is the most important thing. that way, people can plan their trip better : )

like this blog, where the female author claims to have been to 35 countries, i can tell that she hasn't actually lived abroad very long. her complaints about BsAs are dirty buildings, dog poop, city noise, sharing containers with germs, and drivers not yielding to pedestrians. WTF? the only thing unique in this list is the Sharing Mate section, and even that is debatable when you look at how many cultures share food and drinks. https://www.lifebymelissaandrew.com/blog/5-annoying-things-about-living-in-buenos-aires-as-an-expat

this is what annoys me; people like her live in a city for a short time, then compare it to their small USA town that they don't even know that well, and make claims online that make it seem like BsAs is somehow more dog-poop-filled or noisy or whatever, than other places. it's just fake news, and it detract from the point of this forum.

i've alrady debunked the dog poop from obsessive Jenn earlier and on other threads, and the city noise? omg has anyone here been to any other city? i've been in Villa Crespo, Monserrat, Palermo Chico/Norte, and no Belgrano, and BsAs is absolutely much quieter than many other smaller cities. there just aren't that many police/ambulance sirens going off, and only 3 nights during the xmas/new year holiday were people cheering outside near me and keeping me up. 3 nights out of 2 months?? i've been in hostels and nice hotels from Dublin to Dubai, and i've slept very well in these normal Airbnb apartments here in BsAs. it's super fake news...just use a White Noise portable device if you travel. but BsAs is super quiet for being 2x the population of Phoenix. i've yet to see any substantive argument on this, yet. i think a lot of people on this forum are on their first big trip, and they'd make these complaints anywhere! here are real complaints:

1. Cairo Egypt horrible air pollution 2. Slovenian goes to Paris and sees dog poop and smells human urine everywhere 3. Mexico City has bad air quality very often, and is super noisy 4. New York fireworks every weekend 5. Milan Italy changed closing laws in 2023 because locals couldn't sleep 6. San Mateo CA waking-up at 2am from loud motorcycles https://www.reddit.com/r/bayarea/comments/16reerh/anyone_fighting_noise_pollution/k23ih5c/
7 India and Vietnam are extremely loud with honking and chaos https://www.reddit.com/r/digitalnom...t_are_the_noisiest_countrycity_you_ever_been/
8. Someone in Taiwan thinks it's noisy, but NYC is much noisier https://www.reddit.com/r/taiwan/comments/11tlvda/why_is_taiwan_so_loud/jcl9m84/?context=10000
9. Canada has horrible exhaust noises day and night https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/com...oise_pollution_is_harming_our_health/if3piu5/
10. Los Angeles can't sleep https://www.reddit.com/r/LosAngeles...e_pollution_and_quality_of_sleep_anyone_else/
11. Suburb USA dog barking all night https://www.reddit.com/r/homeowners...ime_suburbs_dweller_i_thought_itd_be/k5ugba4/
12. Redditor in Berlin gets reminded that every single large city has some noise and trash https://www.reddit.com/r/berlin/com...e_up_the_most_in_berlin_is_noise_and/jthtpk2/
13. UK shouting all night isn't illegal https://www.reddit.com/r/unpopularo...ion_should_be_taken_far_more_serious/jn3xdwa/
14. CA human poop and trash and safety from transients, and NYC transients masturbating in public https://www.reddit.com/r/unpopularo...ive_lost_a_lot_of_tolerance_for_the_homeless/
15. Santa Monica and Los Angles CA have constant homeless screaming and helicopters https://www.reddit.com/r/SantaMonica/comments/16r55pv/downtown_is_so_loud_now_i_cant_wait_to_leave/

anyone think BsAs has a lt of helicopers? i actually have only seen a few in my 2 months. and i never see or hear airplanes. in downtown Phoenix you have flights landing and taking off constantly, all day and night. i think people who think BsAs is loud have chosen poorly on Airbnb or have zero perspective. which is why i feel the need to challenge these strange claims of it being dirty or loud. again, my question: where else is a big city that doesn't have these problems? because i will move there! ; )

The thing I hate the most are the horrible drivers! A taxi just about hit me today. Honestly I would have gotten hit if I didn't jump forward. A taxi ran a red light. I was crossing at a green light and a taxi nearly hit me and then he got angry at me. Drivers here are terrible.

anyone think BsAs has a lt of helicopers? i actually have only seen a few in my 2 months. and i never see or hear airplanes
This reminded me of living in an apartment in San Telmo overlooking the highway "25 de mayo." Whenever there was a crash they would block off the highway and a rescue helicopter would land on the road to transport the victim (almost always a motorbike rider) to hospital.

The first time it happened I heard this enormous roar, looked out my 12th floor window and saw a helicopter flying directly at me at 100mph or however fast helicopters go. I thought the pilot was directly targeting me in some kind of 9/11 style suicide attack LOL. Then at the last moment it veered off and landed on the highway. But for a few seconds my life flashed before my eyes

This reminded me of living in an apartment in San Telmo overlooking the highway "25 de mayo." Whenever there was a crash they would block off the highway and a rescue helicopter would land on the road to transport the victim (almost always a motorbike rider) to hospital.

The first time it happened I heard this enormous roar, looked out my 12th floor window and saw a helicopter flying directly at me at 100mph or however fast helicopters go. I thought the pilot was directly targeting me in some kind of 9/11 style suicide attack LOL. Then at the last moment it veered off and landed on the highway. But for a few seconds my life flashed before my eyes
You must have an interesting job! Ha. I've only seen a few helicopters in BA. How common were those crashes?

You must have an interesting job! Ha. I've only seen a few helicopters in BA. How common were those crashes?

I saw the rescue helicopter about 4 times, if you look at google maps where autopista 25 de mayo starts just after Puerto Madero there is a whole bunch of streets converging onto the highway, many of them heading up with little visibility. The motorbikes would come racing up onto the highway expecting to merge but if there was a lot of traffic the cars would be barely moving and if the motorbike couldn't stop in time smash

I saw the rescue helicopter about 4 times, if you look at google maps where autopista 25 de mayo starts just after Puerto Madero there is a whole bunch of streets converging onto the highway, many of them heading up with little visibility. The motorbikes would come racing up onto the highway expecting to merge but if there was a lot of traffic the cars would be barely moving and if the motorbike couldn't stop in time smash
Yes, I have seen a few bad accidents right near there. I generally find the motorcycles to be horrible drivers there. I've seen several bad accidents but I'm surprised there aren't more accidents with how horrible the drivers are there.

Now you can add to your list the sky high price of things. This article talks about how supermarket is cheaper in London than in Buenos Aires.

I am reading so many great things about Buenos Aires. I have watched many YouTube videos and it looks like a great city and a lot to do there. I'm a small city girl but I am open to try something new. I'm still trying to get over if I can deal with so much dog poop on the sidewalks.

I asked my friend for a list of the worst things about BA and here is what she wrote. Would you agree/disagree and what would you add to the list?

- Bad air quality compared to most USA cities
- Homeless in some areas that pester you.
- Inflation and prices always increasing
- Supermarkets don't have as much variety and high quality fruits and vegetables compared to nice places like Whole Foods
- Clothing prices and electronics my friend said are very very expensive.
- Bad seafood and not so many vegetarian options compared to USA
- Sexism and machismo harassment. (My friend is a blond haired blue eyed American and she said people every day talk bad opening and say, "you have a nice ass, etc. I was shocked to hear that).
Great thread! I was just going to comment about all the dog sh*t here. What gives? Weird that they wouldn't care more about their city or at least fine people that don't pick up after their dogs. I was walking in Soho yesterday and an owner was with their dog on a busy street. It's like owners don't even care! They don't even lead them out to the street and most people don't walk around with bags to clean up. And the strange thing is no one says anything to a dog owner when they are doing this.

Lots of things to love about the city but the dog sh*t thing is strange. My biggest complaint is with the noise and also very bad seafood restaurants here.

Great thread! I was just going to comment about all the dog sh*t here. What gives? Weird that they wouldn't care more about their city or at least fine people that don't pick up after their dogs. I was walking in Soho yesterday and an owner was with their dog on a busy street. It's like owners don't even care! They don't even lead them out to the street and most people don't walk around with bags to clean up. And the strange thing is no one says anything to a dog owner when they are doing this.

Lots of things to love about the city but the dog sh*t thing is strange. My biggest complaint is with the noise and also very bad seafood restaurants here.
Yes! I don't get this. @Blockchain I haven't been to BA yet. I had to delay my first trip because of the mosquito infestation there and the Dengue plague that was going on earlier this year. I changed my trip to October. I read a few of your posts. What are your favorite things that you have enjoyed since getting to BA?

Yes! I don't get this. @Blockchain I haven't been to BA yet. I had to delay my first trip because of the mosquito infestation there and the Dengue plague that was going on earlier this year. I changed my trip to October. I read a few of your posts. What are your favorite things that you have enjoyed since getting to BA?
I hope people don't get the wrong idea. I like the city. It's just that I heard so many over-the-top things before coming here so maybe my expectations were too high. To be fair I had friends come last fall and they told me it was dirt cheap but I am not finding that the case but after reading some posts I see that prices have doubled since they came or maybe even more.

I complained about the dog sh*t everywhere and how people don't give a sh*t about anything. But that is part of the appeal too. No one seems to care about anything and they leave you alone. I see cars driving like crazy even next to police cars. I was in an Uber on Libertador and the driver was weaving in between lanes. I was confused and thought he was driving drunk at first. But then I saw other cars doing it too. No one cares not even the police. Kind of quirky and weird but cool how police don't pull people over and even they were doing the same thing!

Best thing is the nightlife. Things are LATE here! The females here are HOT and it's relatively easy to engage girls in the Clubs and although many locals don't speak English many girls in the Clubs do. Restaurants have been hit or miss but the expensive ones have great food. But I don't understand how locals manage as some of them are the same price as the US and everyone makes pesos.

Love how easy it is to walk places. The city is well laid out. Distinct feelings between neighborhoods and it is extremely safe to walk at night. I haven't felt one time where I was worried walking at night. But only been walking around Palermo Soho, Hollywood, Chico, Belgrano, Recoleta, Puerto Madero and around Palermo by the park. I can't believe how safe the city feels for how terrible the economy is.

Very easy to get around even if you don't speak Spanish too good. Locals are friendly enough but nothing like other places where I think people are friendlier. Some people here seem like they are in a terrible mood. Also, customer service here isn't that great but probably the economy.

People are laid back here. Some places have an anti-gringo vibe to it lately but I don't get that sense at all. I hope it stays that way. I was in Palermo Soho and moved over to Recoleta and like it much better over here. Much cleaner and more classy.

I hope people don't get the wrong idea. I like the city. It's just that I heard so many over-the-top things before coming here so maybe my expectations were too high. To be fair I had friends come last fall and they told me it was dirt cheap but I am not finding that the case but after reading some posts I see that prices have doubled since they came or maybe even more.

I complained about the dog sh*t everywhere and how people don't give a sh*t about anything. But that is part of the appeal too. No one seems to care about anything and they leave you alone. I see cars driving like crazy even next to police cars. I was in an Uber on Libertador and the driver was weaving in between lanes. I was confused and thought he was driving drunk at first. But then I saw other cars doing it too. No one cares not even the police. Kind of quirky and weird but cool how police don't pull people over and even they were doing the same thing!

Best thing is the nightlife. Things are LATE here! The females here are HOT and it's relatively easy to engage girls in the Clubs and although many locals don't speak English many girls in the Clubs do. Restaurants have been hit or miss but the expensive ones have great food. But I don't understand how locals manage as some of them are the same price as the US and everyone makes pesos.

Love how easy it is to walk places. The city is well laid out. Distinct feelings between neighborhoods and it is extremely safe to walk at night. I haven't felt one time where I was worried walking at night. But only been walking around Palermo Soho, Hollywood, Chico, Belgrano, Recoleta, Puerto Madero and around Palermo by the park. I can't believe how safe the city feels for how terrible the economy is.

Very easy to get around even if you don't speak Spanish too good. Locals are friendly enough but nothing like other places where I think people are friendlier. Some people here seem like they are in a terrible mood. Also, customer service here isn't that great but probably the economy.

People are laid back here. Some places have an anti-gringo vibe to it lately but I don't get that sense at all. I hope it stays that way. I was in Palermo Soho and moved over to Recoleta and like it much better over here. Much cleaner and more classy.
You hit the nail on the head @Blockchain. Nightlife here is very good. And things are much tamer now than years past. I spent many a nights out before I got married. People here party all night. Glad you are having a good time too. I read some of your posts and they seemed negative but good you're having fun too!

You hit the nail on the head @Blockchain. Nightlife here is very good. And things are much tamer now than years past. I spent many a nights out before I got married. People here party all night. Glad you are having a good time too. I read some of your posts and they seemed negative but good you're having fun too!
Agree about nightlife. Unfortunately, it is too good. Been divorced a few times mostly because of how good the nightlife there used to be. Much much easier now. BA is kind of boring compared to the golden days. Still lots of distractions here!

Actually some of us DO say something when we see it. I always make a rude comment to someone when I see them not picking up after their dog. I think if more people did this then people will get better about it. Actually it has gotten much better over the years. Many people do pick up after their dogs now. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be.

For us it's just the noise pollution. It's a very loud city here. Things seem to echo here more vs. other areas we have been living in. Traffic here seems very good coming from Mexico City.

Back