Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Does staying in Argentina illegally as a permanent-tourist affect your ability to get into other countries?

I'm asking for a friend. Let's say you are from the United Kingdom and you have been illegally living in Argentina since 2019. You didn't leave to Uruguay to do border runs as you heard that it was better to overstay and just pay an exit fine. Let's say lately at the supermarket they are asking for passports all of a sudden and you go to Western Union today and while they are scanning your passport they call the Manager over and they are talking and flipping through your passport. I didn't get any stamp in my passport when I entered Argentina so I don't think they know when I entered but they saw my exit stamp when I was leaving Europe and they were asking me some questions.

Will I have any issues going into other countries like the USA. Will anyone know that I'm a criminal and overstayed in Argentina. Will I have problems coming back in Argentina in April?

Only asking for a friend.

I'm asking for a friend. Let's say you are from the United Kingdom and you have been illegally living in Argentina since 2019. You didn't leave to Uruguay to do border runs as you heard that it was better to overstay and just pay an exit fine. Let's say lately at the supermarket they are asking for passports all of a sudden and you go to Western Union today and while they are scanning your passport they call the Manager over and they are talking and flipping through your passport. I didn't get any stamp in my passport when I entered Argentina so I don't think they know when I entered but they saw my exit stamp when I was leaving Europe and they were asking me some questions.

Will I have any issues going into other countries like the USA. Will anyone know that I'm a criminal and overstayed in Argentina. Will I have problems coming back in Argentina in April?

Only asking for a friend.
You shouldn't have any issues getting into the USA as they probably won't care that you stayed in Argentina for years. (I mean your friend stayed for years).

They dont stamp your passport anymore when you enter Argentina.

Havent done so for several months now

All your entries are exits are helfd on compueter.
Yes but I go to Western Union every 2 weeks without issues. Today they were flipping through my passport and asking me questions. Her English wasn't too good and I don't speak Spanish. They were asking me how long I have been here. I didn't want to lie as I didn't know what info she had. They were looking for exit stamps from the UK or EU. The last exit stamp was out of Madrid and that was in 2019. Do you know why they were asking me questions? I know I didn't have any entry stamp but why the sudden interest in how long I have been here?

You shouldn't have any issues getting into the USA as they probably won't care that you stayed in Argentina for years. (I mean your friend stayed for years).
Thank you! My friend will be relieved!

Back