Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Help! My tourist extension visa was denied today

Theo

I hope all of you good people can offer me some advice. I have also posted on other forums trying to get reassuring advice. I have been to Argentina before so this isn't my first trip. This latest trip I arrived to Argentina at the beginning of January 2024 and I was planning to stay here in Argentina until July 2024. So about 6 months total. I visited Montevideo and Colonia in February and then arrived back to Buenos Aires. I went on Buquebus. My tourist visa renewed and it is still good until a few more days.

I went to the migration office today to renew my visa. Friends told me not to worry about it and just overstay and I wouldn't have issues paying a fine. But I really like this country and maybe might try to move here so I didn't want to break any rules. Other friends have gone back and forth to Uruguay or Brazil without any problems just saying they are traveling around South America.

I was shocked that the customs office said they had to deny my renewal. He could see that I already requested and was granted a tourist visa renewal last year in July 2023 when I came in for almost 5 months. He said renewals were only limited to once per year. I asked him what my opinion was and he said the only option would be to overstay and pay the fine before my departure. I asked him if that was legal and he said no it's not legal. He said that it is breaking the law. He said that so far people do that but he didn't know if there would be any further ramifications and said that this administration is trying to change many things and they are very strict now on letting people stay illegally. He said in the past they would allow it but now employees are getting scared of getting fired.

I was tempted to offer him a bribe but I didn't want any more issues. What do you all think caused my issues? Was it because I visited Uruguay in February? Or just because I have already done this within the past year? I don't understand as all my friends have been just entering and exiting without problems. Is it because of the new President?

My biggest worry is that when I try to come back into Argentina will they deny me? They can clearly see everything because they immediately rejected my extension once they scanned my passport. Going the legal route of getting a DNI is too painful and slow. Help.

What are other more permanent tourists doing here lately in light of the stricter rules? Are you working towards getting your legal residency?

I have some perma-tourist friends living in Buenos Aires and for the first time they are really trying to work on a legal solution. There have been crackdowns in the past with Macri but nothing really became of it. Milei and his administration seem to be set on doing everything legally and properly which is the right way. He is getting very aligned with the US.

You couldn't be a permanent-tourist in the US could you? I think eventually the laws here will get stricter and stricter to protect Argentina against everyone wanting to live here. Probably better to start the legal process of living here long term as that seems like what you are really doing.

There is a theory amongst locals that some people are trying to say Argentina is too white and not enough diversity. The locals aren't having it. I agree with Wally that it will most likely get more difficult to be living here illegally in the future. I doubt it will be as tough as the States but Milei is trying to get things more orderly here

Bummer. I am in the same situation as you just living here without a residency visa. I am just leaving every 3 months and saying that I am traveling around South America. Which is the truth. I have planned trips to Uruguay, Brazil, Paraguay, Chile and Colombia. People try to say one way is not legal and the other is but it is all technically illegal in the grand scheme of things. I will maybe work on a rentista visa later this year but just traveling around for now. I haven't heard of anyone having problems doing that. Has anyone heard of anything?

Bummer. I am in the same situation as you just living here without a residency visa. I am just leaving every 3 months and saying that I am traveling around South America. Which is the truth. I have planned trips to Uruguay, Brazil, Paraguay, Chile and Colombia. People try to say one way is not legal and the other is but it is all technically illegal in the grand scheme of things. I will maybe work on a rentista visa later this year but just traveling around for now. I haven't heard of anyone having problems doing that. Has anyone heard of anything?
Why don't you do things legally in my country. I have expat friends that live here and they get DNI. If someone tried to do this in USA they would get deported yes?

I think you are wise not to want to break any laws. But I have found that many people want their cake and eat it too. I have die hard friends that are anti-immigration in the USA but then they try to live in Argentina without getting residency. I tell them you can't have it both ways. Somehow they think it is not ok for other people to do it in the US but are ok doing it themselves in other countries.

I have friends that used to leave every 3 months for border runs. I guess that is technically illegal too. But seems safer vs. just overstaying. My friends got lazy the past few years and just pay the overstay fee but now maybe more people will just go on border runs. I am not sure which is better to be honest.

Sorry to hear about this. I wish Argentina would make it easier for people to stay in the country without worrying. Win/win for everyone as we are spending money on rents, dining out, buying stuff. But feels like the tide is changing. And not for the better as it relates to overstaying visa.

Sad this happened to you since you want to do everything on the up and up. From what I understand, you can only renew your tourist visa once a year (each 365 days). So I'm not sure the trip to Uruguay hurt you. I did ask a lawyer and he told me technically perpetual border runs and also overstaying are BOTH illegal. But he said many things are in Argentina and no one really cares too much. Most people just pay before leaving.

If you are just doing the temporary thing like many and not sure probably just overstaying and paying the fine is ok. but I am not sure how things will go now with Milei. I think all would agree for better or worse this is a new Argentina and the administration is watching everything more carefully. If you definitely want to make Argentina home some day I would focus on doing things legally. No one knows if they will hold it against you constantly breaking the law overstaying.

These days with biometrics all of these computer systems are all tied together. I have an acquittance (friend of a friend) that overstayed and paid the fine and they weren't sure if they would be let in or not. She had a 2nd passport and she used that to enter Argentina on her next visit and they could see she was the same person due to the biometrics. They pulled her in a room to ask her questions but they let her in eventually.

Sad this happened to you since you want to do everything on the up and up. From what I understand, you can only renew your tourist visa once a year (each 365 days). So I'm not sure the trip to Uruguay hurt you. I did ask a lawyer and he told me technically perpetual border runs and also overstaying are BOTH illegal. But he said many things are in Argentina and no one really cares too much. Most people just pay before leaving.

If you are just doing the temporary thing like many and not sure probably just overstaying and paying the fine is ok. but I am not sure how things will go now with Milei. I think all would agree for better or worse this is a new Argentina and the administration is watching everything more carefully. If you definitely want to make Argentina home some day I would focus on doing things legally. No one knows if they will hold it against you constantly breaking the law overstaying.

These days with biometrics all of these computer systems are all tied together. I have an acquittance (friend of a friend) that overstayed and paid the fine and they weren't sure if they would be let in or not. She had a 2nd passport and she used that to enter Argentina on her next visit and they could see she was the same person due to the biometrics. They pulled her in a room to ask her questions but they let her in eventually.
Biometrics data is a game changer for a lot of countries. I am always amazed now on some flights you just walk up to a screen and they can see who you are. Probably this is the future of flying and border entry around the world.

Sorry to hear about this. I wish Argentina would make it easier for people to stay in the country without worrying. Win/win for everyone as we are spending money on rents, dining out, buying stuff. But feels like the tide is changing. And not for the better as it relates to overstaying visa.

No. Argentina has had illegal immigration for decades. It's about time that situation gets fixed for good. Many of the people who live in villas miserias are illegal aliens who drain the country's resources and are manipulated by corrupt politicians.

No. Argentina has had illegal immigration for decades. It's about time that situation gets fixed for good. Many of the people who live in villas miserias are illegal aliens who drain the country's resources and are manipulated by corrupt politicians.
True. Same in the States now. We are flooded with illegal immigrants. It is puzzling this past year why the government is allowing so many when most municipalities are already so drained.

Yes generally strong immigration controls is better for a country in the long run. There are plenty of ways to live here legally so there is really no excuse to do things illegally. People make all kinds of excuses but many of us took the time and money to do it the right way.

True. Same in the States now. We are flooded with illegal immigrants. It is puzzling this past year why the government is allowing so many when most municipalities are already so drained.
Yes I just mentioned this in my other post. It is very easy to enter the USA now. I think the Democrats are trying to allow them to vote in the election so they are bringing them in by the busload to many towns. In Denver where I live, the city is flooded with immigrants.

Back