Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Help! My tourist extension visa was denied today

With Argentina improving its economy and the general problems with immigration in Europe and also USA I think you are going to see a tougher stance in the future. It probably won't happen for a while. Because of Mercosur and how easy it is for much of South America to come and legally work and live here, I'm not sure it makes sense to many to overly control tourists that overstay from the States or Europe. But if we see big problems with poorer migrants coming here then we can probably see it changing quickly.

With Argentina improving its economy and the general problems with immigration in Europe and also USA I think you are going to see a tougher stance in the future. It probably won't happen for a while. Because of Mercosur and how easy it is for much of South America to come and legally work and live here, I'm not sure it makes sense to many to overly control tourists that overstay from the States or Europe. But if we see big problems with poorer migrants coming here then we can probably see it changing quickly.
With all the people from South America here and how easy they make it for them I wish they would make it easier for people from wealthier countries. I'm not sure how many of these South Americans are paying taxes in Argentina, but I think you will find many Americans would be willing to pay some taxes or fees to be here legally. Americans are a very small % of the foreigners in CABA.

With all the people from South America here and how easy they make it for them I wish they would make it easier for people from wealthier countries. I'm not sure how many of these South Americans are paying taxes in Argentina, but I think you will find many Americans would be willing to pay some taxes or fees to be here legally. Americans are a very small % of the foreigners in CABA.

Thanks for sharing that. I hadn't realized foreigners made up so big a % of CABA.

I would hesitate to believe any official numbers in things like this. There are so many American tourists that probably just stay living there. We know several and I'm not sure how the government would even know as they just came in on tourist visa. I'm not sure how they calculate and track this. We have so many friends or friends of friends that have been living in Argentina for years. Now I see on Tik Tok and online people doing the same thing from other countries.

It sounds counter-intuitive but the best thing is just to overstay and not try to renew or extend your visa. I'm not sure about border runs but some lawyers say that is probably not a good idea either. I haven't yet met anyone that had issues with border runs but many people just say to overstay and pay. I don't know if your long term goal is to eventually try to live here or how that might affect things.

I think you have to take all of this with a grain of salt as things sound like they might be different with Milei.

Many immigration lawyers will just say to overstay and say you are living here. Instead of claiming you are a tourist say you're a resident. That sounds good in principle I guess but I'm sure if you get a custom's agent at a border crossing that is in a bad mood it may not turn out good for you. Before all this automation things probably were easier. It will be interesting to see how Argentina handles immigration issues heading into the future. I hope they get stricter. I see some of this stuff in the EU and USA and it is scary. I'd hate to see the same thing happen here in Argentina.

Although Argentina gets a lot of immigration from other parts of South America things still flow here pretty well and everyone plays a part here working in the ecosystem. I see what is happening in parts of Italy, France, Ireland and other countries and it looks like they are being overrun.

Many immigration lawyers will just say to overstay and say you are living here. Instead of claiming you are a tourist say you're a resident. That sounds good in principle I guess but I'm sure if you get a custom's agent at a border crossing that is in a bad mood it may not turn out good for you. Before all this automation things probably were easier. It will be interesting to see how Argentina handles immigration issues heading into the future. I hope they get stricter. I see some of this stuff in the EU and USA and it is scary. I'd hate to see the same thing happen here in Argentina.

Although Argentina gets a lot of immigration from other parts of South America things still flow here pretty well and everyone plays a part here working in the ecosystem. I see what is happening in parts of Italy, France, Ireland and other countries and it looks like they are being overrun.
Exactly. Much just depends on the discretion of the customs official when you're crossing. Over the years, I have known people that have had issues when they were clearly a perma-tourist and they were staying here over and over throughout the year. This was before when they stamped your passport. You can easily get a grumpy border official that can see you're gaming the system and maybe not allow entry.

I travel all over the world all the time and Argentina is one of the easiest countries and very lax with immigration. Because they were in such bad economic shape, they depended on tourists coming and didn't mind if they stayed. President Milei is cut from a different cloth but I don't think there will be any sudden changes with most tourists staying here or getting deported.

If there is one thing I've learned in 22 years of working and dealing with Argentina, is things here don't change overnight. Things are slow to change. I would encourage anyone that wants to live here long-term in the future to try to get legal residence. I did that 22 years ago when I knew that I'd be living and working in Argentina and it was the best decision.

I have permanent residency in several countries including Mexico. And one trend that I've noticed is that it's getting more difficult, higher income levels needed, more expensive, etc. and there is no guarantee that there will be an easy path for permanent residency in the future just because there was in the past. Argentina is still relatively easy so I'd find a way to qualify legally sooner rather than later.

My uneducated and worthless guess is that the government cares more about the tourism income. My friends have been living in BA the past few months. They aren't looking to necessarily live there forever but just digital nomads and a few are overstaying and a few are traveling around South America every 3 months. No issues with either option. Going to renew your visa only seems to make sense if you're planning on only extending 3 additional months beyond the 90 days.

Just overstay and pay the fee. This isn't getting fixed for a while. Bigger fish to fry and problems. I think it's safe to say if you're from a wealthier Western nation you're not going to have issues. Maybe same can't be said if you're trying to enter from poorer countries or countries on watch list. Sad to say but I do think they will be more racist at the border controls as it pertains to people that might not be legitimate "tourists".

Does anyone know what the current fee is these days for overstaying a tourist visa? I assume the price is the same at AEP or EZE?
Price is the same at either airport. People posted extensively about the process and locations if you do a search. You can also see a lot of info on this website.

Price is the same at either airport. People posted extensively about the process and locations if you do a search. You can also see a lot of info on this website.

Wow! Thanks for that website. I found so many great and helpful articles! But I still didn't see where it said how much it was for the overstay fee. She doesn't really cover it unless I'm missing it. I checked all her categories.

I found this link but still confused on the rate. What is the name of the penalty for overstaying?

Last edited:
The rule has not changed for 25 years. They can not extend your visa at migrations if it means you will go over 180 days in the past 365.

You would have got the same result if you tried this in 2015 or 2005. Nothing to do with Milei or any new laws.
Ok so it sounds like my best strategy is to just enter on tourist visa and maybe extend it another 3 months. So I will get 6 months and then after that I can just take a short trip for another 3 months and do the same thing again after 3 months. Wow this sounds very easy to stay there easily. I see there is a digital nomad visa. Does anyone recommend that?

Ok so it sounds like my best strategy is to just enter on tourist visa and maybe extend it another 3 months. So I will get 6 months and then after that I can just take a short trip for another 3 months and do the same thing again after 3 months. Wow this sounds very easy to stay there easily. I see there is a digital nomad visa. Does anyone recommend that?
Yeah most digital nomads just enter on tourist visa. You're not going to have any problems. Maybe if you're staying really long periods of time but people who I met have done that. I looked into the digital nomad visa. Those are 180 days at a time and you can renew for another 180 days. But a ton of paperwork. I didn't care about the application fee but you have to get a lot of paperwork and it has to get all kinds of seals and take time and money. You can see the process here.

Just a hassle and Argentina is easy to stay. Most just pay the overstay fee. Maybe it's different if you want to live here forever but you can figure that out later if you decide you like it.

Back