Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Is the Expat party in Buenos Aires coming to an end?

I find it difficult to comprehend how anyone can genuinely believe that it's affordable here. The primary expenses, particularly food, have surged to unprecedented levels in US dollars. The cost of decent parillas has skyrocketed to a minimum of US $20 per person, and if you choose to dine at Don Julio, be prepared to shell out a hefty US $80 per person. Don Julio used to be an absolute steal until 2021, with a normal price of US $20, but now it has become four times more expensive.
Perhaps my spouse and I are on the fiscally conservative end of the bell curve, but we were at Don Julio last week, and it was $80 for the two of us, combined. When we were there in January, it was about $75 total, so... I don't think it's super skyrocketed, but again, we could just be edge cases.

Perhaps my spouse and I are on the fiscally conservative end of the bell curve, but we were at Don Julio last week, and it was $80 for the two of us, combined. When we were there in January, it was about $75 total, so... I don't think it's super skyrocketed, but again, we could just be edge cases.
That's a great data point. I haven't eaten there in a while. Just out of curiosity, what did you have to eat? $80 sounds great! I ate at a steak place in San Diego with my wife a few months ago and we spent about $385 US dollars for the 2 of us! A rip off! Buenos Aires is a GREAT deal and very affordable!

I honestly don't agree with almost anything Larry says. I doubt Don Julio is $80 US per person at these exchange rates.

That's a great data point. I haven't eaten there in a while. Just out of curiosity, what did you have to eat? $80 sounds great! I ate at a steak place in San Diego with my wife a few months ago and we spent about $385 US dollars for the 2 of us! A rip off! Buenos Aires is a GREAT deal and very affordable!

I honestly don't agree with almost anything Larry says. I doubt Don Julio is $80 US per person at these exchange rates.
Our total this time was just a tick over 69k pesos, and that was the bife de chorizo mariposa shared, papas fritas and asparagus, with agua con gas, provoleta con zucchini as an appetizer and two orders of helado for dessert.

No wines because we weren't feeling super up to it and nothing super extravagant.

I will say we're probably getting individual steaks next time, but that's because I like my steak to have a fighting chance of recovery, while my wife likes to make sure it's got a little bit of char all the way through.

Our total this time was just a tick over 69k pesos, and that was the bife de chorizo mariposa shared, papas fritas and asparagus, with agua con gas, provoleta con zucchini as an appetizer and two orders of helado for dessert.

No wines because we weren't feeling super up to it and nothing super extravagant.

I will say we're probably getting individual steaks next time, but that's because I like my steak to have a fighting chance of recovery, while my wife likes to make sure it's got a little bit of char all the way through.
Thanks! That's a great specific data point. My wife get almost the same exact thing when we go there. Except we usually share the bife de chorizo or tira de asada but everything else exactly like you and maybe sometimes adding a chorizo. We also don't drink wine but sometimes my wife will get a drink. Thanks for that GREAT info!

I find it difficult to comprehend how anyone can genuinely believe that it's affordable here. The primary expenses, particularly food, have surged to unprecedented levels in US dollars. The cost of decent parillas has skyrocketed to a minimum of US $20 per person, and if you choose to dine at Don Julio, be prepared to shell out a hefty US $80 per person. Don Julio used to be an absolute steal until 2021, with a normal price of US $20, but now it has become four times more expensive.
It's unbelievable to me how a foreign expat will complain about the cost of living in Buenos Aires. Larry - you are so out of whack with reality. Don Julio does NOT cost $80USD each person. Even my parents went there to celebrate their anniversary and it's as @Darksider415 mentioned. They spent slightly more than that as they had some red wine with dinner. But not much more than @Darksider415 with a nice bottle of wine.

I go with my boyfriend to eat an asado and we don't pay more than $7USD for a steak each. The buses that I take daily are very cheap even by local standards. I pray that this does not change with Milei. I pay about 5 CENTS and I can go out and have a good time with my friends. On my birthday my grandparents got me tickets to Teatro Colon and I can see the price on it. All for about $9 US dollars.

You expats are unbelievable that you can complain about BA being expensive. I laugh at you complainers. All you care about is your cheap steaks. They are still cheap and you are complaining already it's too expensive! Unbelievable! You don't deserve to live in my city if you're already complaining. People like @Larry make me sick.

The cost of living is subjective and varies depending on one's perspective. It hinges on what one defines as "normal," their financial situation, and lifestyle choices. For instance, my dining habits involve eating out a couple of times weekly while preparing meals at home for the rest of the week. Compared to California, where groceries, particularly items like organic vegetables and fruits and meat or fish, can be considerably pricier, living expenses here are significantly lower. I used to think certain things were extravagantly priced, but I've found that dining out here can be quite affordable, typically ranging from $7 to $13 per person at relatively upscale establishments. In contrast, a simple burger in the US now costs around $20, while a single beer can set you back $10.

My apartment was purchased in 2007, so the escalating rents in the area don't factor into my calculations. Thank God I bought it back then!! Additionally, property taxes and utilities in my current location are markedly lower compared to the United States where I was paying a fortune and they kept going up each year! For someone accustomed to budgeting based on US prices, the cost of living here seems crazy cheap!

However, it's crucial to note that for the majority of my friends and the population earning in pesos, this lifestyle is considered very expensive. Recently, I had a dinner at Osaka where the meal cost 100,000 pesos—by far, the most I've spent on a meal in the last 12 months. This included a superb sushi and appetizers and exceptional side dishes. We don't typically indulge in alcoholic beverages at restaurants, which definitely affects the overall cost.

In San Francisco, a meal of similar quality would easily be triple the price. I'm aware of restaurants in the US where a fixed-price meal costs around $100, with an additional $75 for a wine flight, totaling close to $300 per person, and that's not even the most expensive option. Prices in cities like NYC or San Diego are much higher.

In general, whether Argentine or expat, people living here tend to have outdated notions about prices in North America, particularly in the United States. (Canada, for instance, is significantly more expensive.) When considering expenses like food, utilities, transportation, healthcare, and more, the cost in dollars is notably cheaper here compared to the US.

However, the plight of those earning in pesos faces significantly larger challenges due to the economic differences.

It's unbelievable to me how a foreign expat will complain about the cost of living in Buenos Aires. Larry - you are so out of whack with reality. <snip> I laugh at you complainers. All you care about is your cheap steaks. They are still cheap and you are complaining already it's too expensive! Unbelievable! You don't deserve to live in my city if you're already complaining. People like @Larry make me sick.
Gotta say, I agree with @Che Vos here. I enjoy cheap steak as much as anyone, but I'd rather have more expensive steaks, where the people cooking and serving them, and the people washing the dishes have a decent standard of living and don't have to stress about the cost of pasta doubling while their salaries stay the same.

Buenos Aires is, IMO, one of the best cities, if not the best city in the world. Not because it's cheap, but because it has wonderful culture, amazing people and a vibrant arts scene, just to name a few points in its favor. I went out to Parque Sarmiento to enjoy the feriado (and a bit of asado) with friends today, and I was just thinking about how there is nowhere I've experienced this sort of tight-knit community since I was in university.

As previously mentioned, the expat community represented here is a small groupin Argentina, comprising only a few thousand individuals. Throughout my 18 years of engagement within various forums in Ba, I've had the opportunity to personally meet approximately 5 of those who actively contribute.

In contrast to a couple of individuals who clearly have $$$, the individuals I've encountered lead lives sustained by modest means, typically ranging between $900 and $2500 USD per month. Such an income bracket doesn't stretch far in either European or North American countries.

Living in any major US city on an annual income of $25,000 is virtually impossible. Renting a studio apartment alone costs around a thousand dollars per month in almost every urban center, escalating to three thousand in NYC or major cities in California. Additionally, annual expenses for Medicare supplements often amount to a few thousand dollars, while utility bills can easily reach $400 per month. Affording a car or dining at a US steakhouse is simply out of reach on such an income.

While it's true that the forum's contributors may fare better than a considerable portion of the Argentine population, in their home countries, they would generally be considered to be living in extreme poverty. The minimum social security payment in the US stands at $825 a month, and surviving on such an amount in Argentina would be immensely challenging unless one had family support or backing to serve as a guarantor.

It's unbelievable to me how a foreign expat will complain about the cost of living in Buenos Aires. Larry - you are so out of whack with reality. Don Julio does NOT cost $80USD each person. Even my parents went there to celebrate their anniversary and it's as @Darksider415 mentioned. They spent slightly more than that as they had some red wine with dinner. But not much more than @Darksider415 with a nice bottle of wine.

I go with my boyfriend to eat an asado and we don't pay more than $7USD for a steak each. The buses that I take daily are very cheap even by local standards. I pray that this does not change with Milei. I pay about 5 CENTS and I can go out and have a good time with my friends. On my birthday my grandparents got me tickets to Teatro Colon and I can see the price on it. All for about $9 US dollars.

You expats are unbelievable that you can complain about BA being expensive. I laugh at you complainers. All you care about is your cheap steaks. They are still cheap and you are complaining already it's too expensive! Unbelievable! You don't deserve to live in my city if you're already complaining. People like @Larry make me sick.
I totally agree with you @Che Vos ! I posted for almost 14 years on the other BAExpats.org forum. No one knew who I was. I posted anonymously for 13.5 years until a poster outed me a few months ago. I can honestly say I only met 2 people in real life including the gentleman who originally had the idea for the forum. The owner of that forum lied to me and said it was his idea but I know that isn't true. It was another guy that I met.
I was mostly never interested to meet any of the forum members as most of them were ugly ex-pats. Many never even took the time or desire to want to learn the language. I mostly to this day hang out with Argentine friends. The Godfather and Godmother of my kids are all Argentines. They consider me a local and I consider them family.

I never even tried to market to Expats in Buenos Aires as they are mostly poor and don't have much money. The sad reality is most of them can't afford to live in their home countries. They NEVER and will never be a source of income for me as the vast majority in Buenos Aires have NO net worth. Or very little net worth. My clients mostly have very high net worths. Real estate investment in a country like Argentina is NOT for the vast majority out there. Simply for the reason most Expats in Argentina don't have 2 nickels to rub together. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. OK, wait a minute..I am saying that's a bad thing! LOL. They will just never be a source of income for me.
Gotta say, I agree with @Che Vos here. I enjoy cheap steak as much as anyone, but I'd rather have more expensive steaks, where the people cooking and serving them, and the people washing the dishes have a decent standard of living and don't have to stress about the cost of pasta doubling while their salaries stay the same.

Buenos Aires is, IMO, one of the best cities, if not the best city in the world. Not because it's cheap, but because it has wonderful culture, amazing people and a vibrant arts scene, just to name a few points in its favor. I went out to Parque Sarmiento to enjoy the feriado (and a bit of asado) with friends today, and I was just thinking about how there is nowhere I've experienced this sort of tight-knit community since I was in university.
I totally agree with you @Darksider415 . I'd love Buenos Aires even if it was the same prices as here in San Diego where I own my primary home. San Diego is now ranked as the #1 most expensive city in the USA. (https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-expensive-us-city-see-full-list/71351851007/). It's crazy here! Crazy! Before I went solar, I had $1,300 US dollars a month in electricity bills. Granted I have a very large house but still. That's obscene. The amount I spend on food here is more than most people make in a year in the USA. I own my home outright but the rent on a place like this would be around $12,000 US a month.

I bought here at the bottom in 2011 as I knew that would be the bottom but prices are 325% more now. I'd NEVER pay what people are paying to live here. Buenos Aires even at San Diego prices would be worth it to me. Fortunately like in San Diego, I purchased at the bottom. So I don't care how expensive it gets. Once you own your primary residence in BA, you can manage. The #1 biggest headache for expats is having to deal with rent and having to move every year or 2. Right now is chaotic with almost 0 rentals on the long-term market. It should probably be worse in the short-term until Milei solves the laws and gets rid of the stupid laws that the Senate and Congress made during COVID.

Things should be a mess there for the next 12 months. I told Milei when I met him that he will probably regret winning President. I was the only one who predicted within 2% points that he would win by a large margin. My company did extensive polling the morning of the election and we already saw he would win by a large margin. https://x.com/BuySellBA/status/1726267821683036602?s=20

Things will get worse before they get better so prices should be affordable but even when they get expensive, I'll be in great shape as I own a bunch of properties here. I just bought 3 more that they are building now and my investors have purchased about $5 Million in the past 3 months alone.

As previously mentioned, the expat community represented here is a small groupin Argentina, comprising only a few thousand individuals. Throughout my 18 years of engagement within various forums in Ba, I've had the opportunity to personally meet approximately 5 of those who actively contribute.

In contrast to a couple of individuals who clearly have $$$, the individuals I've encountered lead lives sustained by modest means, typically ranging between $900 and $2500 USD per month. Such an income bracket doesn't stretch far in either European or North American countries.

Living in any major US city on an annual income of $25,000 is virtually impossible. Renting a studio apartment alone costs around a thousand dollars per month in almost every urban center, escalating to three thousand in NYC or major cities in California. Additionally, annual expenses for Medicare supplements often amount to a few thousand dollars, while utility bills can easily reach $400 per month. Affording a car or dining at a US steakhouse is simply out of reach on such an income.

While it's true that the forum's contributors may fare better than a considerable portion of the Argentine population, in their home countries, they would generally be considered to be living in extreme poverty. The minimum social security payment in the US stands at $825 a month, and surviving on such an amount in Argentina would be immensely challenging unless one had family support or backing to serve as a guarantor.
Amen. All spot on target. It's crazy expensive in the USA now.

I agree with you that the expats who post on this site are a tiny group. I am not sure about their incomes but you may be right that they are relatively poor. Are these expats homeowners in BA? If so, their U$S 1,000-2,000 (presumably net, right?) incomes will go far at the present rate of exchange. You are correct about rents (even higher in cities like London). One point on which you might be mistaken is about the Medicare Supplemental. I have heard the Medicare Advantage plans are becoming more popular and these often require no supplemental charges. I wonder how older expats who have emigrated to Argentina are able to buy health insurance plans. After age 65 the rates are very high if you haven't been a member for years; I wonder if you can even get accepted after age 65.

I'd add that a lot of US people have private pensions/annuities or other savings plans in addition to their Social Security and for those who are legally below the poverty line, there is subsidized housing which can be good. I visited someone in Seattle who lives in subsidized housing in a nice area. She pays a modest % of her income for a one-bedroom apartment. I think there are ways a person can live decently on U$S 25,000 a year in US with some ingenuity. There are also a lot of senior services available to those on low incomes. Those who come to Argentina are the more adventurous people I suspect.

I'm somewhere in the middle in a lot of ways between the immigrant and expat lives... My wife and I were just talking about how our plan to move back to Brazil may not be the best path, a few days ago. I've had dreams of raising our kids in Buenos Aires, and I was just talking to my therapist about how there's really nowhere in the US or Brazil that would allow me the little things I enjoy about living in Argentina, like being able to walk to the kiosco or the 24 hour pharmacy at 11PM without worrying too much about safety.

On the other hand, I sustained the first year or so in BsAs on a US software security engineer's salary, before opening my own security consultancy. I never would've taken the leap to work for myself, had it not been for the savings I was able to build up from living here.

I totally agree with you @Darksider415 . I'd love Buenos Aires even if it was the same prices as here in San Diego where I own my primary home. San Diego is now ranked as the #1 most expensive city in the USA. (https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-expensive-us-city-see-full-list/71351851007/). It's crazy here! Crazy! Before I went solar, I had $1,300 US dollars a month in electricity bills. Granted I have a very large house but still. That's obscene. The amount I spend on food here is more than most people make in a year in the USA. I own my home outright but the rent on a place like this would be around $12,000 US a month.
You literally live in the one US city I'd never live in... Not because I actually dislike San Diego, but because the ex, with whom breaking up with sparked my whole Argentine adventure, lives there. 😅

I agree with you that the expats who post on this site are a tiny group. I am not sure about their incomes but you may be right that they are relatively poor. Are these expats homeowners in BA? If so, their U$S 1,000-2,000 (presumably net, right?) incomes will go far at the present rate of exchange. You are correct about rents (even higher in cities like London). One point on which you might be mistaken is about the Medicare Supplemental. I have heard the Medicare Advantage plans are becoming more popular and these often require no supplemental charges. I wonder how older expats who have emigrated to Argentina are able to buy health insurance plans. After age 65 the rates are very high if you haven't been a member for years; I wonder if you can even get accepted after age 65.

I'd add that a lot of US people have private pensions/annuities or other savings plans in addition to their Social Security and for those who are legally below the poverty line, there is subsidized housing which can be good. I visited someone in Seattle who lives in subsidized housing in a nice area. She pays a modest % of her income for a one-bedroom apartment. I think there are ways a person can live decently on U$S 25,000 a year in US with some ingenuity. There are also a lot of senior services available to those on low incomes. Those who come to Argentina are the more adventurous people I suspect.

Medicare expenses in the USA fluctuate based on individual earnings. Having been self-employed since 1975, I contributed less initially and now pay more. Despite Medicare coverage, it doesn't encompass all medical expenses, and from what I've observed among most seniors (I'm 70), healthcare costs persist, often resulting in thousands of dollars in additional annual expenses beyond Medicare. While this might startle individuals from the UK, it's an undeniable reality in the USA—many seniors, despite having Medicare, encounter financial hardship due to exorbitant medical bills.

Residing in the USA part-time, I can attest that an annual income of $25,000 would essentially place you at or below the poverty line in most areas.
The country harbors several hundred thousand homeless individuals, some of whom receive Social Security or VA benefits yet remain unable to afford housing. The national average price of a new home stands at $430,000, with significantly higher figures in most urban areas. For instance, in Seattle, where one of my sons resides, the average reaches $800,000, though it's misleading as homes under $350,000 are scarce. Private health insurance costs approximately $9,000 annually for a young, healthy individual without pre-existing conditions. However, there are deductibles, usually ranging from 3 to 5 thousand dollars additionally.

I've encountered expats here who received healthcare, including surgeries, at public hospitals without more than a 90-day visa. While there might be a wait and expenses for X-rays and medication, it's a far cry from the healthcare costs in the USA, which could run into tens of thousands of dollars for the same procedures.

I'm somewhere in the middle in a lot of ways between the immigrant and expat lives... My wife and I were just talking about how our plan to move back to Brazil may not be the best path, a few days ago. I've had dreams of raising our kids in Buenos Aires, and I was just talking to my therapist about how there's really nowhere in the US or Brazil that would allow me the little things I enjoy about living in Argentina, like being able to walk to the kiosco or the 24 hour pharmacy at 11PM without worrying too much about safety.

On the other hand, I sustained the first year or so in BsAs on a US software security engineer's salary, before opening my own security consultancy. I never would've taken the leap to work for myself, had it not been for the savings I was able to build up from living here.

You literally live in the one US city I'd never live in... Not because I actually dislike San Diego, but because the ex, with whom breaking up with sparked my whole Argentine adventure, lives there. 😅
Thanks for sharing your journey with us on this forum. I did that for 13.5 years on the other forum and I enjoyed it. It was a sort of therapy as I never had a therapist before March 2023 and it was nice. I enjoyed the anonymity for many years and I posted about real life stuff and the companies that I owned in Argentina. Even the owner of BAExpats was SHOCKED when he found out it was me. He was very familiar who I was as I owned one of the most successful start-ups in the history of Argentina. Certainly, the most famous one was started by an American.

Other than where I lived (I lived on the most expensive street of Avenida Alvear) and going out to eat every day, I lived a fairly frugal life in Buenos Aires. Granted, I was traveling on exotic trips throughout the year, I couldn't go back to the USA more than a few weels a year before of tax reasons. I was taking the foreign income tax exclusion so I couldn't be in the USA for more than a few weeks a year. I'd always go up to the limit.

Living in Buenos Aires, and making quite a bit of money allowed me to just keep funneling the savings into more real estate. I would keep buying more real estate with all the rental income. At one point, I owned 15+ properties myself in Buenos Aires. I sold all of them off in 2018/2019 at the peak. I bought in Mexico and it's gone up 100% since then there. Now I sold off USA real estate that has gone up 300% and back buying in Buenos Aires. I love cycles. I honestly never thought real estate would be as cheap as it is there again in inflation-adjusted dollars. I'm having fun doing it all over again in Buenos Aires.

Funny about the one city you dislike. I actually LOVE San Diego besides the obscene cost of living. You have to be richer than God to live here and live comfortably and own a place here and have a few kids. @Darksider415 , your new wife will kill me for saying this but if things don't work out with her, look on the bright side. You could seek out your ex girlfriend and if she lives in San Diego you can find your "sugar mama"! Ha! (Just kidding!)

Wow, I feel fortunate that I have about $5,000 a month in income from various retirement and savings investment income. @Avocado is the $900 to $2,500 USD per month in income from expats you meet here include everything? I don't see how that would be enough to even live in Buenos Aires! $900/month ANYWHERE in the world seems like you wouldn't be able to get by. Is this for just one person?

Those from places like Senegal and Venezuela are economic refugees. They will likely become citizens. These cannot be considered expats in the same way that people who post here are expats. These poor immigrants were never having a party. Many of those who post here have hard currency, mostly dollars, come from developed countries like the USA and UK and could very well stay and live where they came from. They aren't street salesmen or Uber drivers. Instead they came to Argentina where they have moeny to dine out frequently and discuss which high end parrilla is the best.
You mean illegal immigrants who do not want to admit it?

This is a great URL that mentions "middle class" household earnings in the United States var several Metro area.

Thank you for posting this link.

I find it puzzling how the median household income purportedly stands at almost USD $71,000 when the data portrays numerous regions where it hovers at USD $50,000 or even lower. It's important to note that these figures represent gross incomes, which incur at least a 25% tax deduction—often more when factoring in local, state, real estate, and additional taxes. Consequently, the net income dwindles significantly. Additionally, these figures account for household incomes, typically consisting of two earners.

Regarding Avocado's reference to incomes of USD $900 to $2,500 per month, I presume they mean net incomes of that amount. Retirees aged 65 and above might have paid off their mortgages, allowing those on the lower end of the income spectrum to potentially manage to live on USD $2,500, especially with various low-income government benefits. In such a scenario, it might not be deemed necessary for someone in this position to relocate to Argentina.

Thank you for posting this link.

I find it puzzling how the median household income purportedly stands at almost USD $71,000 when the data portrays numerous regions where it hovers at USD $50,000 or even lower. It's important to note that these figures represent gross incomes, which incur at least a 25% tax deduction—often more when factoring in local, state, real estate, and additional taxes. Consequently, the net income dwindles significantly. Additionally, these figures account for household incomes, typically consisting of two earners.

Regarding Avocado's reference to incomes of USD $900 to $2,500 per month, I presume they mean net incomes of that amount. Retirees aged 65 and above might have paid off their mortgages, allowing those on the lower end of the income spectrum to potentially manage to live on USD $2,500, especially with various low-income government benefits. In such a scenario, it might not be deemed necessary for someone in this position to relocate to Argentina.
I live very comfortably in Buenos Aires on about $1,000 US dollars per month. I was fortunate/smart enough to purchase my own apartment many years ago when it was very cheap. Ironically, I saw many Americans buying apartments back in 2003 after the financial crash. It was @earlyretirement that started a company that many foreigners were buying apartments and I couldn't believe that they were all full! Back in that time, the prices for a 1 bedroom apartment were about $150 US dollars each night and I saw it was always full.

I am originally from the United States. I know that there would be NO way I could survive in my home state of less than about $3,800 US dollars per month. It doesn't matter if I was getting food stamps, or other benefits. I've investigated going back to the USA a few times for various reasons including my kids having babies and being closer to my grandchildren. But in the end, it would be impossible for me to survive on my social security payment.

Very few places around the world would I be able to afford and certainly NO city with the lifestyle of Buenos Aires. Once you have a paid-off property, you can live in Argentina on not much money. My monthly expenses is very low and my utilities are almost nothing. I only use AC in the hottest months and don't need to use the heater. The water is included with my monthly HOA.

I read it a few times online but if you want to live in Buenos Aires long-term and you are an expat you MUST own a property here to stay for the long term. It's very difficult as it's all cash and no mortgages but fortunately I sold my apartment in the USA and I am fortunate that I purchased an apartment.

I live very comfortably in Buenos Aires on about $1,000 US dollars per month. I was fortunate/smart enough to purchase my own apartment many years ago when it was very cheap. Ironically, I saw many Americans buying apartments back in 2003 after the financial crash. It was @earlyretirement that started a company that many foreigners were buying apartments and I couldn't believe that they were all full! Back in that time, the prices for a 1 bedroom apartment were about $150 US dollars each night and I saw it was always full.

I am originally from the United States. I know that there would be NO way I could survive in my home state of less than about $3,800 US dollars per month. It doesn't matter if I was getting food stamps, or other benefits. I've investigated going back to the USA a few times for various reasons including my kids having babies and being closer to my grandchildren. But in the end, it would be impossible for me to survive on my social security payment.

Very few places around the world would I be able to afford and certainly NO city with the lifestyle of Buenos Aires. Once you have a paid-off property, you can live in Argentina on not much money. My monthly expenses is very low and my utilities are almost nothing. I only use AC in the hottest months and don't need to use the heater. The water is included with my monthly HOA.

I read it a few times online but if you want to live in Buenos Aires long-term and you are an expat you MUST own a property here to stay for the long term. It's very difficult as it's all cash and no mortgages but fortunately I sold my apartment in the USA and I am fortunate that I purchased an apartment.
Wow! Thanks @Vero for letting me know about how you bought real estate here so many years ago! It's hard to believe it's been over 20+ years since I started ApartmentsBA! Everyone told me I was crazy to move to Argentina and especially to start investing in real estate in Argentina. It's amazing to think about what I did after the corralito in 2002.

I'm so happy for people like you who bought real estate in Buenos Aires. It honestly is the best thing if you want to live in Buenos Aires over the long haul. I gave the same exact advice to many employees that worked for me. They weren't high-paid employees but many of them saved for many years and bought an apartment in Buenos Aires. And some of them even bought another so they are living in one and renting the other on Airbnb and living off the income.

It's ironic but some of my employees in Buenos Aires from many years ago have a higher net worth than many of my friends in the USA who are mostly in debt or have no assets besides their car. Many of my American friends are living paycheck to paycheck. Over the long haul, if you want to stay in Buenos Aires, you really should own an apartment. Right now prices are very cheap. You can buy a nice apartment in a nice building in a great area for about $100,000 US dollars. The HOA for that apartment is only around $60 US per month. So even if things get more expensive later you have a roof over your head.

Remember with inflation, prices are going to be expensive everywhere around the world in nice areas. Whether you are renting or you own, EVERYONE needs a roof over their heads FOREVER.

Back