Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Thread: President Javier Milei - Decree of Necessity and Urgency (DNU) in real-time

There aren't many protesters at all. The crowds are really thin. I thought there would be bigger crowds but it's almost empty. You can see on the video. It is a shame they have to get violent and set cars on fire and bicycles too. But this is why Milei is still ahead in the polls. These people are a plague on Argentina.

Now that President Milei will have more powers, you will start to see more and more international companies announce investments in Argentina. It's already starting.

I am still learning about Argentina. Their history is fascinating. But in reading some articles it sounds like another devaluation is coming which will cause inflation to go back up. It also sounds like Argentina will need another IMF bailout or one from China.

It's a bit troubling to me that Milei is spending so much time outside of Argentina. I just read that he is going back to Europe yet again next week. Seems to be too many trips outside. He is outside of Argentina as much as he is here.

But why do you find it troubling?

He's been out of the country 25 days since December 10 (193 days).
It seems to me we have so many problems here in Argentina to solve. I admit some of these trips are ok to get investments but the trip to Spain to fight with them before wasn't productive. The trips seem to be intensifying and that is a distraction when so many issues here. He does NOT need to be meeting with President Zelensky or going to the Weeping Wall in Israel.

Now Milei hopes to sign May Pact on July 9. Let's see.

Let's hope the 2nd half of the year Milei does some good things and the economy improves.

Just when I think I have seen all crazy thing about Milei and Argentina I read this article. Thanks for @Uncle Wong to post this article.

Argentina joining NATO?? Is that not shocking to some of you? Argentina sharing responsibility for global security? Is this joke??? Even you expat Milei lover have to admit this is just crazy to think about Argentina being responsible for global security? This crazy thing to read.

Argentina is peaceful neutral country that has no enemy. Now we will join NATO in future and share responsibility for global security? This crazy joke. Someone wake me up.

“We together support (Ukraine) President (Volodymyr) Zelenskyy against the brutal Russian aggression, and at the same time we agree that Israel has a right to defend itself against terrorism,”

Pavel said he believed that Argentina will become in the future one of the global partners of NATO.

“I’m glad that Argentina is ready to take its share of responsibility for the global security,” Pavel said.

Woo hoo. Looks like the reform bill is almost done.

Woo hoo. Looks like the reform bill is almost done.

All done. President Milei deserves a lot of credit getting this pushed through.

GRIjsmvX0AAqjxa.jpeg

Sounds like some of the things they were looking to do like privatizing the airline and post office had to be dropped.

This was a major win for President Milei and his team. You can't imagine how tough this was with less than 15% of the Congressional seats. A meaningful turn around in Argentina will NOT happen without the participation and "partnership" of foreign investors. Foreign investors are going to be an important piece of turning Argentina around.

Huge credit to Guillermo Francos. This couldn't have been done without his leadership.

The poorest sectors are struggling the most under Milei. This is a must listen interview. Talks about all his needless trips around the world and inflation. People talk about the hyper-inflation that would have come with Massa. It will come with Milei. Wait and see.

This was a major win for President Milei and his team. You can't imagine how tough this was with less than 15% of the Congressional seats. A meaningful turn around in Argentina will NOT happen without the participation and "partnership" of foreign investors. Foreign investors are going to be an important piece of turning Argentina around.

Huge credit to Guillermo Francos. This couldn't have been done without his leadership.

Agreed. Milei is celebrating. Sounds like a lot of changes coming down the pipeline.

Back