Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Banking What is going on with the Blue dollar? Why is it going down?

Yip but even USD earners are suffering - they are earning 20% less in pesos than one month ago.
Exactly. We are all accustomed to blue dollar only moving one direction and strange to see locals buying pesos. I don't believe they believe in the peso so much as they are desperate and spending their USD savings to just pay the bills due to the severe inflation. My girlfriends family has been selling USD to make up the difference on paying for food, utilities, prepago/healthcare and they say their car insurance has skyrocketed as well as gas.

I'd rather leave before the sh*t hits the fan.

Argentina keeps getting more and more expensive for those that have Dollars.

@Larry it looks like you were correct that it keeps getting more expensive. How is the dollar staying so weak and seems to stay around 1,000 pesos to $1USD while general inflation of the peso keeps going up. How do they manipulate it like that???

@Larry it looks like you were correct that it keeps getting more expensive. How is the dollar staying so weak and seems to stay around 1,000 pesos to $1USD while general inflation of the peso keeps going up. How do they manipulate it like that???
You can read this article that discusses it a bit.

I am not expert so don't quote me on it but I was having breakfast the other day with my neighbor that is a banker and he told. me that that Milei has turned off the printing press and they aren't printing as many pesos and there is a far lower supply of pesos since Milei took office in December. He is also cutting spending by the government. Governmental offices are getting closed and he just announced 70,000 more layoffs are coming of wasteful governmental employees that do very little to nothing.

So many locals that saved their US dollars are now having to spend all those savings and BUY Argentine pesos. Before people were buying up US dollars with their savings and their salaries. But you have a ton of spending, less printing and less pesos to go around.

I am not expert so don't quote me on it but I was having breakfast the other day with my neighbor that is a banker and he told. me that that Milei has turned off the printing press and they aren't printing as many pesos and there is a far lower supply of pesos since Milei took office in December. He is also cutting spending by the government. Governmental offices are getting closed and he just announced 70,000 more layoffs are coming of wasteful governmental employees that do very little to nothing.

So many locals that saved their US dollars are now having to spend all those savings and BUY Argentine pesos. Before people were buying up US dollars with their savings and their salaries. But you have a ton of spending, less printing and less pesos to go around.
Yes this is correct @Spend Thrift. Your banker friend is correct. This is more or less what is happening.

Thank you for this explanation. It is very simple but easy to understand.

What about before? I was reading that the government would try to manipulate the exchange rate selling USD before. Is this still done? It seems like the government is saving up and building up US dollar reserves now. Can the Argentine government manipulate the exchange rate?

Thank you for this explanation. It is very simple but easy to understand.

What about before? I was reading that the government would try to manipulate the exchange rate selling USD before. Is this still done? It seems like the government is saving up and building up US dollar reserves now. Can the Argentine government manipulate the exchange rate?
Argentina has tried to manipulate the exchange rate before. However, no single entity possesses the ability to dictate or "keep" the dollar at a particular rate for long. Historical attempts by Argentine governments to maintain such control have involved spending significant amounts of borrowed $$$ to support the peso, with little success. The value of the peso fluctuates based on a multitude of factors including supply and demand, consumer sentiment, global circumstances such as worldwide events like wars and also oil prices, as well as domestic economic conditions and policies.

In recent years, we've observed fluctuations in the dollar's value against the peso, which largely correspond to these broader economic dynamics. However, the current situation is primarily driven by internal Argentine economic factors, concerns, and rising prices. While inflation plays a role, other issues such as the removal of price controls on rents have also contributed. For example, many Argentines have experienced substantial rent increases upon contract renewals, leading to ripple effects across various sectors. This isn't something that the government can simply "control" – it illustrates the consequences of deregulation and the removal of price controls.

Hold on though. Not as simple as that. Read this:

The government controls the price of the dollar by buying or selling dollars through the Argentina Central Bank, but they keep strict limits on how much regular people can buy.

Milei and his team say they'll remove these limits when they think it's safe, because if they did it now, there would certainly be a rush to buy dollars. Even though they say the Argentina Central Bank dollar is close to its real value, they worry it will go up if people can buy as many dollars as they want.

Under President Milei, we don't have a freely determined exchange rate. Instead, we have what's called a crawling peg. When they came into power, the government set the value of the dollar at 800 pesos to $1USD, and they buy and sell dollars every day to make sure the value goes up by about 2% each month.
Some people think part of their plan is to cause a recession and make wages and money less available. That way, people won't have as much money to spend on dollars, especially if prices have doubled or tripled in just a few months.

The government controls the price of the dollar by buying or selling dollars through the Argentina Central Bank, but they keep strict limits on how much regular people can buy.

Milei and his team say they'll remove these limits when they think it's safe, because if they did it now, there would certainly be a rush to buy dollars. Even though they say the Argentina Central Bank dollar is close to its real value, they worry it will go up if people can buy as many dollars as they want.

Under President Milei, we don't have a freely determined exchange rate. Instead, we have what's called a crawling peg. When they came into power, the government set the value of the dollar at 800 pesos to $1USD, and they buy and sell dollars every day to make sure the value goes up by about 2% each month.
Some people think part of their plan is to cause a recession and make wages and money less available. That way, people won't have as much money to spend on dollars, especially if prices have doubled or tripled in just a few months.
Exactly. And of course what is everyone doing right now? They have been selling their USD stash. So the less dollars they have the better it is for the government.

Things keep getting more expensive and that trend probably will keep getting worse. I told all of you.

I have to admit. You were right Larry. Everything is double of what it was than a few months ago.Argentina always has had inflation but not that fast.

Blue dollar continues to fall, exchange rate gap between the official and the blue is minimal.
I wonder if it will continue to go down.

Blue dollar continues to fall, exchange rate gap between the official and the blue is minimal.
I wonder if it will continue to go down.

No one knows for sure. I saw a report from JP Morgan that predicted by December 2024 it would be 1,500 pesos to $1 USD but I think no one knows for sure. I have been in Argentina a long time and typically it always pays to stay in USD for the long haul. Maybe things will be different with Milei. No one knows for sure.

The movement in the past two days is a clear reaction to the fall in interest rates. Should be interesting to see what happens the rest of the week
Yeah a lot of economists is saying the peso is way overvalued. Some friends in finance tell me the USD has to strengthen against the peso. I hope they are right.

Back