Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Argentina Rentista Visa for 2024? What is the minimum income now for retirement visa for Argentina?

FYI it looks like Argentina is going to start getting more difficult on getting Citizenship and I would guess they will make it more difficult for getting Permanent Residency as well in the future. Looking at all the problems with mass immigration by other countries around the world, Argentina probably wants to get ahead of this issue.

Getting residency here will probably get more difficult too. It is too easy now and it's also too easy to overstay tourist visas. As the economy improves here my guess is they will get tougher on it.

After seeing the mess in the UK, Argentina probably will want none of this. If you read on many forums, it sounds like Argentines are against mass migration, especially from Middle Eastern and African countries. It sounds like a good idea making Citizenship more difficult.

one of the reasons i am interested in Argentina is its distance from the Islam-Judaism-Zionism-Palestine-Israel-Iran nonsense ... and the relative lack of Islamist/jihadist activity in Argentina. i lived in some Islam-majority countries in my 20s and i have zero desire as an atheist to live anywhere there are ultra-religious people like Islamists (i don't feel like being beheaded by a mob for thought-crimes)

i agree with Argentina in limiting citizenship and residency to people who are brining a net-positive, and who want to assimilate. the only thing i won't be assimilating to is the pizza, although i must report to you guys, Mendoza has an actual Pepperoni Pizza! hadn't seen one of those for 8 months (attached menu photo)

and looks like there are the same Almacen De Pizzas in CABA and other areas! wish i knew that was i was eating the Guerrin style of crap "pizza" i tried time and time again :p

but regardless of the requirements, the UK and the EU (and USA recently) have been importing North-African military-aged male Islamists for many years now, so it was only a matter of time before they implemented "Sharia Law Zones" like they have now in Sweden and England. just as sad as the "George Floyd no-police zone" in Minneapolis. unfortunately, there has always been and always will be a Clash of Civilizations when it comes to the mobs who want to enforce their religion on others, and the Classical Liberal ideas of self-determination and individual liberties. i suspect with the December new laws simplifying car ownership etc., Argentina will be more and more on the radar of those disillusioned with their home country. Milei's team could totally capitalize on a Golden Visa for ultra-rich, and also a Silver Visa for regular folks who want to put the time and some money into coming here. the only reason more aren't right now is the Unknown aspect of all of it.

Attachments

• 1722976686814.png
    1722976686814.png
    941.1 KB · Views: 2
one of the reasons i am interested in Argentina is its distance from the Islam-Judaism-Zionism-Palestine-Israel-Iran nonsense ... and the relative lack of Islamist/jihadist activity in Argentina. i lived in some Islam-majority countries in my 20s and i have zero desire as an atheist to live anywhere there are ultra-religious people like Islamists (i don't feel like being beheaded by a mob for thought-crimes)

i agree with Argentina in limiting citizenship and residency to people who are brining a net-positive, and who want to assimilate. the only thing i won't be assimilating to is the pizza, although i must report to you guys, Mendoza has an actual Pepperoni Pizza! hadn't seen one of those for 8 months (attached menu photo)

and looks like there are the same Almacen De Pizzas in CABA and other areas! wish i knew that was i was eating the Guerrin style of crap "pizza" i tried time and time again :p

but regardless of the requirements, the UK and the EU (and USA recently) have been importing North-African military-aged male Islamists for many years now, so it was only a matter of time before they implemented "Sharia Law Zones" like they have now in Sweden and England. just as sad as the "George Floyd no-police zone" in Minneapolis. unfortunately, there has always been and always will be a Clash of Civilizations when it comes to the mobs who want to enforce their religion on others, and the Classical Liberal ideas of self-determination and individual liberties. i suspect with the December new laws simplifying car ownership etc., Argentina will be more and more on the radar of those disillusioned with their home country. Milei's team could totally capitalize on a Golden Visa for ultra-rich, and also a Silver Visa for regular folks who want to put the time and some money into coming here. the only reason more aren't right now is the Unknown aspect of all of it.
Yes BA has several Almacen de Pizza. They are quite good.

I would never live in any Islam-majority countries now. Same goes for ultra religious area. The far away from those area the better. The issue becomes if you allow too many of these Islamists into your country. For most people Argentina is still a disaster zone and people don't put much value on it as a destination for a passport. That could change in the future but everytime someone I know finds out I live here their first reaction is to say they heard about the 300% inflation here and the mess of an economy. Not many are thinking of it as a desirable country.

an Error message.
follow-up on renewing a Precaria at the 15-day mark: someone else i'm helping tried to do the same, and i verified the new button "Solicite la renovación de su Precaria" appeared to the left of the existing buttons ("Mas Información" and "Imprima"), attached redacted screenshot of the Status page.

clicking it goes to an error screen (still on https://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/consultaTramitePrecaria/renovacionPrecaria.php), attached screenshot. i will report back if this resulted in anything for them, but seems like this is a long-term issue for Migraciones' website.

Attachments

• error.png
    error.png
    78.5 KB · Views: 2
  • status.png
    status.png
    135 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
follow-up on renewing a Precaria at the 15-day mark: someone else i'm helping tried to do the same, and i verified the new button "Solicite la renovación de su Precaria" appeared to the left of the existing buttons ("Mas Información" and "Imprima"), attached redacted screenshot of the Status page.

clicking it goes to an error screen (still on https://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/consultaTramitePrecaria/renovacionPrecaria.php), attached screenshot. i will report back if this resulted in anything for them, but seems like this is a long-term issue for Migraciones' website.
Seems like that website is one big error message.

update for the renewal of 90-day Precarias online, on https://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/consultaTramitePrecaria/ConsultaUnificada.php you will have the option to upload a PDF with the new button, around 15 days out of the expiration of your Precaria which goes to
once at the upload/subir page, there is the option to add up to 3 PDF files. i struggled with helping someone this week, uploading proof of funds from USA to Argentina (BNA), where the PDF upload kept failing with a red error message "unable to upload PDF" on multiple browsers, operating systems, phone, laptop, etc. so i tried everything to limit what could be the issue. i personally successfully uploaded a 2.2 MB file for my process, with only one page so i wondered why this other person was having issues (and on my side, i got the exact same error message with their same files).

after trying to shrink the PDF, delete pages, change the title without spaces, etc. - all the usual things when software is garbage, i finally succeeded in getting the successfully-uploaded message, and now they are "WEB PENDIENTE" which means their attachment is being reviewed. this is what i did:

1. take screenshots (.jpg on my windows laptop) of each page of their PDF that was failing (quality goes down).
2. drag screenshots (7 in this case) into a Word document, and drag corners to size as best as possible.
3. use Print to PDF and i saved with a one-word (6 letters) PDF file, 7 total pages, size 1.25 MB, and suddenly it worked!

now their Expediente page shows the correct Web Pendiente as the status, and there is no more upload button "Presente Documentacion"

i have no idea which aspect of the file needed to be changed, but for those struggling to upload PDFs to renew their Precaria or respond to an Intimacion requirement, if your PDF isn't working, this weird way of making a new PDF packet was successful on 29Aug2024. and of note, always hilarious, this person's Precaria expires in less than a week and despite renewing it at the 15-day mark beforehand, they still don't have a new Precaria ... and chatting with Migraciones in Buenos Aires resulted in them being told if they are past the Precaria date, worries of being "illegal" in the country aren't a big deal, because technically they will be "IRREGULAR" 🤣 i suppose that was supposed to be comforting?

as i'm looking to buy a small property in Mendoza, i have yet to meet an Argentine who has any clue about any of this, most realtors, owners, notaries/escribanos, etc. all are surprised to hear that USA folks aren't just granted immediate Residency. i've explained how living 90 days at a time with Precarias, some people on this forum have done it for over a year i've heard, and locals here almost can't believe it. my current realtor said that because i'm investing in property i will have an easier time...i let him know that is NOT the case, i wish it was, but actually the hoop-jumping of having to show a ridiculous 5x-salary income of money (converted in Pesos) actually dissuades many people from coming here and spending money, creating businesses, renovating real estate, etc.

i've tried explaining to people that normal wealthy or middle-class folks from other countries just don't have the time, patience, or flexibility to do all this crazy stuff, and most people would never buy a property in a country where they can only be there for 3-6 months legally on a tourist visa (and tourist visas aren't guaranteed, technically). imagine owning a property and not being able to enter the country it's in, because you don't have residency to get in. in my life, i'm very much flexible and can plan 90 days at a time, but i guarantee 95% of people would be worried about investing in Argentina when the Residency process is so strange (yet Venezuelans/MerCoSur folks can just come here and most of the time have no issues). my biggest takeaway from my past 9 months in Argentina is that this country has so much potential to be a haven for people like me, but the Immigrations policies and red-tape world are bottle-necking a ton of money and talent coming here. once this changes, i think it will be a game-changer for the country. Milei needs to fire every leader in Migraciones and replace the chief with someone like @earlyretirement or @BowTiedMara or someone else here who has done the process and knows from the inside where the failures occur at :)

one person said "Tramite" is the national sport for Argentina, ahahahahaha, i told him this country for sure would get the Gold Medal at the Olympics for Tramite hoop-jumping

Last edited:
my current realtor said that because i'm investing in property i will have an easier time...i let him know that is NOT the case, i wish it was, but actually the hoop-jumping of having to show a ridiculous 5x-salary income of money (converted in Pesos) actually dissuades many people from coming here and spending money, creating businesses, renovating real estate, etc.
Thanks for keeping us updated. What I noticed is that realtors and even lawyers just make up things if they think it will get you to buy. A realtor told me the same thing that it's easier to get permanent residency here if I bought a place from her. 🤡 That isn't true.

Lots of red tape here. Not just on residency but across the board. My girlfriend's father owns a few companies and he tells me the endless nonsense on a daily basis so it's like this with everything here. Good luck @StatusNomadicus! You will be a pro by the time you're done.

Argentina is a very easy country to just go in and out on tourist visas. Most of the people that we know that own property here just do that. Of course things could change but I have never heard of anyone having problems here. I think that most foreigners that go through this process just hire an immigration attorney to assist. But it has been a fun journey reading your experience going through the process.

update for the renewal of 90-day Precarias online, on https://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/consultaTramitePrecaria/ConsultaUnificada.php you will have the option to upload a PDF with the new button, around 15 days out of the expiration of your Precaria which goes to
once at the upload/subir page, there is the option to add up to 3 PDF files. i struggled with helping someone this week, uploading proof of funds from USA to Argentina (BNA), where the PDF upload kept failing with a red error message "unable to upload PDF" on multiple browsers, operating systems, phone, laptop, etc. so i tried everything to limit what could be the issue. i personally successfully uploaded a 2.2 MB file for my process, with only one page so i wondered why this other person was having issues (and on my side, i got the exact same error message with their same files).

after trying to shrink the PDF, delete pages, change the title without spaces, etc. - all the usual things when software is garbage, i finally succeeded in getting the successfully-uploaded message, and now they are "WEB PENDIENTE" which means their attachment is being reviewed. this is what i did:

1. take screenshots (.jpg on my windows laptop) of each page of their PDF that was failing (quality goes down).
2. drag screenshots (7 in this case) into a Word document, and drag corners to size as best as possible.
3. use Print to PDF and i saved with a one-word (6 letters) PDF file, 7 total pages, size 1.25 MB, and suddenly it worked!

now their Expediente page shows the correct Web Pendiente as the status, and there is no more upload button "Presente Documentacion"

i have no idea which aspect of the file needed to be changed, but for those struggling to upload PDFs to renew their Precaria or respond to an Intimacion requirement, if your PDF isn't working, this weird way of making a new PDF packet was successful on 29Aug2024. and of note, always hilarious, this person's Precaria expires in less than a week and despite renewing it at the 15-day mark beforehand, they still don't have a new Precaria ... and chatting with Migraciones in Buenos Aires resulted in them being told if they are past the Precaria date, worries of being "illegal" in the country aren't a big deal, because technically they will be "IRREGULAR" 🤣 i suppose that was supposed to be comforting?

as i'm looking to buy a small property in Mendoza, i have yet to meet an Argentine who has any clue about any of this, most realtors, owners, notaries/escribanos, etc. all are surprised to hear that USA folks aren't just granted immediate Residency. i've explained how living 90 days at a time with Precarias, some people on this forum have done it for over a year i've heard, and locals here almost can't believe it. my current realtor said that because i'm investing in property i will have an easier time...i let him know that is NOT the case, i wish it was, but actually the hoop-jumping of having to show a ridiculous 5x-salary income of money (converted in Pesos) actually dissuades many people from coming here and spending money, creating businesses, renovating real estate, etc.

i've tried explaining to people that normal wealthy or middle-class folks from other countries just don't have the time, patience, or flexibility to do all this crazy stuff, and most people would never buy a property in a country where they can only be there for 3-6 months legally on a tourist visa (and tourist visas aren't guaranteed, technically). imagine owning a property and not being able to enter the country it's in, because you don't have residency to get in. in my life, i'm very much flexible and can plan 90 days at a time, but i guarantee 95% of people would be worried about investing in Argentina when the Residency process is so strange (yet Venezuelans/MerCoSur folks can just come here and most of the time have no issues). my biggest takeaway from my past 9 months in Argentina is that this country has so much potential to be a haven for people like me, but the Immigrations policies and red-tape world are bottle-necking a ton of money and talent coming here. once this changes, i think it will be a game-changer for the country. Milei needs to fire every leader in Migraciones and replace the chief with someone like @earlyretirement or @BowTiedMara or someone else here who has done the process and knows from the inside where the failures occur at :)

one person said "Tramite" is the national sport for Argentina, ahahahahaha, i told him this country for sure would get the Gold Medal at the Olympics for Tramite hoop-jumping
It is painful seeing how difficult they make this for foreigners. @StatusNomadicus are you almost done with yours? Have you heard of David English in Mendoza? I'm not sure if he is still around but he has a good reputation in Mendoza for real estate.

David English in Mendoza?
my locksmith just told me about this guy 2 weeks ago - he said he's a local celebrity here. survived 9/11 and now is a big Mendoza fan. i thought his Spanish skills were pretty horrible during the short clip i listened to on youtube...i'm much more fluent/better accent, and he's supposedly been in Argentina for over 20 years?

didn't know he was a real estate guy. there is a BIG need for services with common sense and punctuality in Argentina, especially realtors/corrredores
i am far from done. tomorrow Immigrations could tell me that i don't qualify for the Rentier Residency (Savings account). noooooo idea, just playing it 90 days at a time. i have no idea if i'll have 2 Precarias or i'll be 2 years in, applying for citizenship, and still not have real 1-year Temporary Residency :p

Of course things could change but I have never heard of anyone having problems here
but would you own a house if you could only legally be in that country for 180 days each year? what if it had a giant flooding issue and you wanted to come back, but they wouldn't give you another tourist visa because you've abused the tourist visa in the past?

uruguay ferry: "this not-quite-illegal-but-not-quite-official-either solution of making a one-day trip to Uruguay has led to occasional denial to re-enter. And what's more; if you're so keen at staying, why not just comply with the rules of the host country?" https://www.travellerspoint.com/forum.cfm?thread=32172

things change all the time, and just in February of this year an additional tax was added to the ferry. if tomorrow Milei's immigration cabinet enforced visa overstays differently, or rejected people who have been doing border runs, would anyone be shocked? https://www.infobae.com/america/ame...nciar-el-nuevo-sistema-de-control-migratorio/

it's speculative, but not a risk i would personally be willing to risk, even if it was a 0.1% chance for me...which is why i'm hoop-jumping and spending money to have legit Temporary Residency (plus having a DNI number means i can finally use MercadoPago, MercadoLibre, BNA MODO 30% discounts, Carrefour 15% credit card, and a million other perks that will make my life SO much easier.

A realtor told me the same thing that it's easier to get permanent residency here if I bought a place from her. 🤡 That isn't true.
i'm not even sure most are lying...many people from a country have no idea how the immigration policy actually works. how many USA folks know the citizenship process requires a history/etc. test for our new citizens? sometimes the least-informed people are the locals, since they don't deal with any of these things ;)

i'm not even sure most are lying...many people from a country have no idea how the immigration policy actually works. how many USA folks know the citizenship process requires a history/etc. test for our new citizens? sometimes the least-informed people are the locals, since they don't deal with any of these things ;)
Agree with this. I think locals are shocked at just how inefficient things are for foreigners too. They know it’s red tape for them but somehow they think we would have it easier.

Plus some of my friends here see everyone from Venezuela and Colombia that can legally live and work here and mistakenly think it would be easier for an American which isn’t true.

my locksmith just told me about this guy 2 weeks ago - he said he's a local celebrity here. survived 9/11 and now is a big Mendoza fan. i thought his Spanish skills were pretty horrible during the short clip i listened to on youtube...i'm much more fluent/better accent, and he's supposedly been in Argentina for over 20 years?

didn't know he was a real estate guy. there is a BIG need for services with common sense and punctuality in Argentina, especially realtors/corrredores
i am far from done. tomorrow Immigrations could tell me that i don't qualify for the Rentier Residency (Savings account). noooooo idea, just playing it 90 days at a time. i have no idea if i'll have 2 Precarias or i'll be 2 years in, applying for citizenship, and still not have real 1-year Temporary Residency :p

but would you own a house if you could only legally be in that country for 180 days each year? what if it had a giant flooding issue and you wanted to come back, but they wouldn't give you another tourist visa because you've abused the tourist visa in the past?

uruguay ferry: "this not-quite-illegal-but-not-quite-official-either solution of making a one-day trip to Uruguay has led to occasional denial to re-enter. And what's more; if you're so keen at staying, why not just comply with the rules of the host country?" https://www.travellerspoint.com/forum.cfm?thread=32172

things change all the time, and just in February of this year an additional tax was added to the ferry. if tomorrow Milei's immigration cabinet enforced visa overstays differently, or rejected people who have been doing border runs, would anyone be shocked? https://www.infobae.com/america/ame...nciar-el-nuevo-sistema-de-control-migratorio/

it's speculative, but not a risk i would personally be willing to risk, even if it was a 0.1% chance for me...which is why i'm hoop-jumping and spending money to have legit Temporary Residency (plus having a DNI number means i can finally use MercadoPago, MercadoLibre, BNA MODO 30% discounts, Carrefour 15% credit card, and a million other perks that will make my life SO much easier.

I saw a video of that David English on X. His accent wasn't that good but at least he seems like he can fully communicate. Lots of people live in Argentina for a long time and don't have much to show for it. My Spanish isn't perfect but can get by.

Before I knew that I would live here full time I just would come in on a tourist visa. In fact I bought my apartment before I got my DNI and probably many other foreigners do the same thing. "Legal" in Argentina is a relative term. Doubt any property owner will have issues coming or staying in Argentina. Obviously it could change in the future but I don't think it will change. After you are here a few years @StatusNomadicus you will figure out a bit more how Argentina operates.

I do agree if you plan to stay here long term than getting a DNI makes sense but I still probably have met more foreigners that never got their DNI for one reason or another.

I have no desire to get a DNI in Argentina. I have had no problems coming and going, overstaying and paying a penalty for over 25 years. Short of some invasion from illegal immigrants from the Middle East or Africa, I doubt Argentina will change the status quo. Fortunately if you're a caucasian from North America or Western Europe or Australia, etc you're not going to have problems here.

fully communicate
sure, i hope he can! ahahaha 20 years is a long time. i'm more commenting on how he fails at very basic things that i learned when i was a teenager taking Spanish classes in highschool:

"circa" pronunciation for cerca is horrible; vowels in Spanish are quite literally the easiest in any language; there are no sounds other than a e i o u (excluding diphthongs) and these never change. i could say that sentence when i was in sophomore year of highschool in "Spanish 3-4" and it's very strange that he can't pronounce some things like that. we'll just blame it on his Tennessee accent :p

easier for an American
yeah this is the trend for me as well; it's almost like argies hear you're from the US and discredit anything you say about struggling...as if every USA person comes from the upper class and we get everything we want ;) meanwhile, i've seen much more poverty in Native reservations in the States, and there are a LOT of rich mofos in Argentina with BMWs, people who buy $4 cans of Heineken at kiosks, and people who appear to live without a care for coupons or budgets.

my childhood in middle-class Arizona was full of bringing coupon books to Kroger grocery stores, and saving fuel points to fill-up both cars at once with 50-cent-per-gallon savings. i don't think half of Argentina's city residents have any clue about any of this, when i see how most people live.

I have had no problems coming and going, overstaying and paying a penalty for over 25 years.
for short visits, the risk you take might be worth it. i would never recommend someone to break the laws of any country, regardless if the government hasn't been enforcing them or not. it's only not a problem until it becomes a problem, like i've discussed in many of these threads. basically, there are 2 arguments: the old-timers who assure newcomers that it's fine to break immigration policy, and those who warn that every decision should be made with all risks in mind...i'm in the second group, especially since i aim for citizenship and i have a dog with me from the USA; i'm not risking getting deported or refused entry, because it's hard to import/export pets, and i'm very invested in my dog.

1. https://baexpats.org/threads/visa-run-fake-tourist-permatourist-deported-at-ezeiza.25732/

2. https://baexpats.org/threads/visa-run-being-a-dual-national.45273/post-426175

i disagree with abusing the tourist visa, but i won't judge if that's right for you. i just really really dislike the 'it's been this way and it will probably always be this way, you just need more years here to see' because it's a stupid argument that doesn't address the very-real arguments for why it is risky, why it's technically illegal according to a citizenship lawyer, why you could put 'black marks' on your record for later citizenship, and overall is just silly to argue when 2024 has already had SO MANY CHANGES in federal law.

DYOR = do your own research, and mitigate risk according to your own life situation ;)

sure, i hope he can! ahahaha 20 years is a long time. i'm more commenting on how he fails at very basic things that i learned when i was a teenager taking Spanish classes in highschool:

"circa" pronunciation for cerca is horrible; vowels in Spanish are quite literally the easiest in any language; there are no sounds other than a e i o u (excluding diphthongs) and these never change. i could say that sentence when i was in sophomore year of highschool in "Spanish 3-4" and it's very strange that he can't pronounce some things like that. we'll just blame it on his Tennessee accent :p

yeah this is the trend for me as well; it's almost like argies hear you're from the US and discredit anything you say about struggling...as if every USA person comes from the upper class and we get everything we want ;) meanwhile, i've seen much more poverty in Native reservations in the States, and there are a LOT of rich mofos in Argentina with BMWs, people who buy $4 cans of Heineken at kiosks, and people who appear to live without a care for coupons or budgets.

my childhood in middle-class Arizona was full of bringing coupon books to Kroger grocery stores, and saving fuel points to fill-up both cars at once with 50-cent-per-gallon savings. i don't think half of Argentina's city residents have any clue about any of this, when i see how most people live.

for short visits, the risk you take might be worth it. i would never recommend someone to break the laws of any country, regardless if the government hasn't been enforcing them or not. it's only not a problem until it becomes a problem, like i've discussed in many of these threads. basically, there are 2 arguments: the old-timers who assure newcomers that it's fine to break immigration policy, and those who warn that every decision should be made with all risks in mind...i'm in the second group, especially since i aim for citizenship and i have a dog with me from the USA; i'm not risking getting deported or refused entry, because it's hard to import/export pets, and i'm very invested in my dog.

1. https://baexpats.org/threads/visa-run-fake-tourist-permatourist-deported-at-ezeiza.25732/

2. https://baexpats.org/threads/visa-run-being-a-dual-national.45273/post-426175

i disagree with abusing the tourist visa, but i won't judge if that's right for you. i just really really dislike the 'it's been this way and it will probably always be this way, you just need more years here to see' because it's a stupid argument that doesn't address the very-real arguments for why it is risky, why it's technically illegal according to a citizenship lawyer, why you could put 'black marks' on your record for later citizenship, and overall is just silly to argue when 2024 has already had SO MANY CHANGES in federal law.

DYOR = do your own research, and mitigate risk according to your own life situation ;)
20 years is a long time to live in a country and not speak fluently but I know a lot of people that have lived in Mexico for a while and they aren't anywhere close to this guy understanding everything. It sounds like he understands everything perfectly. I credit anyone that can speak multiple languages.

Agree about locals thinking Americans have it so easy. Everyone assumes all Americans are living it up and have tons of $$$ but that just ain't true. Most Argentines I have met think only they have it tough. I try to explain the same thing about many Americans struggling but they just roll their eyes and think I'm exaggerating.

Many people in CABA that I met are living better than my friends in the States.

Is it breaking an immigration law though if the government easily says you can just pay the overstay fee? Even when you go to immigration office they all say it's no big deal. Your situation sounds different because you have a dog. I guess until I read about more and more people having problems I will just come on tourist visa. I haven't overstayed past the 90 days. I will travel around but then I laugh because people say it's illegal to do border runs but not overstay. It's all kind of funny. Because I am doing legitimate travels to other countries every 90 days. Sounds like everyone's interpretation is different.

I don't see my situation as abusing the tourist visa. It just seems like many people come and go from Argentina and especially BA. Argentina actually seems like they appreciate tourists coming and going and spending money here. I agree with you @StatusNomadicus if you're goal is to get permanent residency or citizenship then probably better to try to get your DNI here. Other than using Mercado Libre or getting discounts, I don't see too much benefit for me. My friend let's me use their Mercado Libre account whenever I want.

I think if people can get residency here easily then it might make sense. Other countries are getting more expensive like Mexico which has raised their income level requirements.

I am rooting for you to say that you did this yourself. So much red tape here. It will be nice to read of someone doing it themselves. It sounds like most people hire immigration attorneys.

I for one hope that Argentina gets more strict with their immigration policies. It's too easy for tourists to overstay. It's not been a problem so far but I look at the issues in America with the illegals and also in Europe. It sounds like Chile is already having issues with some migrants. One of the positive things about Argentina is it's relatively safe. I would hate for that to change in the future.

It sounds like he understands everything perfectly
true, but he likely had the questions ahead of time, and he's doing a tour for his documentary, so he has practiced speaking on certain topics. i still stand by it being very strange he doesn't know how to pronounce the 5 vowels. he almost sounds like he's speaking Portuguese, to me. "grabar" is GRAH-bahr, not "gruh" - this is a very typical American-English and Russian aspect of changing vowels on unstressed parts of words. notice how poorly he pronounces "A" in this case as an "uh" compared to in Russian:

other examples are the word "particular" in Spanish - par-tee-coo-LAR (yet he says par-tick-oo-LAR) - this is something that is addressed in year 1 and 2 of Spanish, like i said. not talking sh*t, just interesting that 20+ years of Spanish speaking daily and he's horrible at vowels

How Spanish vowels sound​

VowelHow it sounds in English
aas the “a” in father
eas the “ay” in say (but not lengthened)
ias the “e” in me
oas the “oa” in oak
uas the “ue” in Sue

this is Chapter 12 of 31 chapters in a first-year Spanish text ;)

many Americans struggling but they just roll their eyes and think I'm exaggerating.
i can tell that most argies currently in the country haven't traveled in a few years, because 90% have no clue and don't believe me. i have given prices for stuff to groups of locals when i'm touring a house, like how someone i know in the Midwest pays 250 bucks per month in heating bills, or another person in the Southwest pays 300 bucks a month for A/C in the summer at 115F, and when i explain how subsidized energy bills of $20 USD per month are fantastic, they respond with very little emotion. if an Argentine came to my house in the USA a couple years ago and told me their utilities for a big house were $50 USD total per month, i would have staggered in shock. its's almost like un-traveled argies operate as if they are stoic world travelers who have seen it all and are unfazed by suffering or stories about struggle, yet they know very little about how half of the USA (and other parts of the world) live in reality.

Many people in CABA that I met are living better than my friends in the States.
agreed. of course the commies will come in here and yell at you because "57% poverty rate" (lies, those fuckers have USD cash under their mattress, ahahahaha), and say that you just don't see the poor, but here in Mendoza it is very similar; Argentines are traveling to other provinces/cities on the long weekends A LOT, and i saw a lot of people who are spending and vacationing in Cordoba/Mendoza like we're not in a gobal recession. it's very interesting to see the psychology of both sides of this, as an outside observer

I don't see my situation as abusing the tourist visa
i don't want to beat a dead caballo but as of Dec2023 the main lawyer on the old censored forum has continually interpreted the Tourist Visa law as preferential to overstay versus doing Border Runs here:

the old-timers will never accept it, no matter the evidence of people being denied re-entry, being deported, etc. (i've posted links of real-world stories on this and other forums many times - i don't really care if people choose to ignore the law, but i've provided evidence for what i believe is the most-accurate understanding of the Overstay question)

It sounds like Chile is already having issues with some migrants
as long as Argentina doesn't purposely-import jihadists and islamists who want to take the Enlightenment away and impose Sharia Law, i love people coming to more-free places, but the 'free stuff for everyone' of course isn't sustainable after a certain amount of time. Chile went full Commie for a little bit, and one of my biggest inspirations Simon Black (James Hickman in real life) from SovereignMan/SchiffSovereign discussed Chile's problems here:

(a really interesting read. i've been to his giant farm in Chile and he is a super smart and talented Expat)

true, but he likely had the questions ahead of time, and he's doing a tour for his documentary, so he has practiced speaking on certain topics. i still stand by it being very strange he doesn't know how to pronounce the 5 vowels. he almost sounds like he's speaking Portuguese, to me. "grabar" is GRAH-bahr, not "gruh" - this is a very typical American-English and Russian aspect of changing vowels on unstressed parts of words. notice how poorly he pronounces "A" in this case as an "uh" compared to in Russian:

other examples are the word "particular" in Spanish - par-tee-coo-LAR (yet he says par-tick-oo-LAR) - this is something that is addressed in year 1 and 2 of Spanish, like i said. not talking sh*t, just interesting that 20+ years of Spanish speaking daily and he's horrible at vowels

How Spanish vowels sound​

VowelHow it sounds in English
aas the “a” in father
eas the “ay” in say (but not lengthened)
ias the “e” in me
oas the “oa” in oak
uas the “ue” in Sue

this is Chapter 12 of 31 chapters in a first-year Spanish text ;)

i can tell that most argies currently in the country haven't traveled in a few years, because 90% have no clue and don't believe me. i have given prices for stuff to groups of locals when i'm touring a house, like how someone i know in the Midwest pays 250 bucks per month in heating bills, or another person in the Southwest pays 300 bucks a month for A/C in the summer at 115F, and when i explain how subsidized energy bills of $20 USD per month are fantastic, they respond with very little emotion. if an Argentine came to my house in the USA a couple years ago and told me their utilities for a big house were $50 USD total per month, i would have staggered in shock. its's almost like un-traveled argies operate as if they are stoic world travelers who have seen it all and are unfazed by suffering or stories about struggle, yet they know very little about how half of the USA (and other parts of the world) live in reality.

agreed. of course the commies will come in here and yell at you because "57% poverty rate" (lies, those fuckers have USD cash under their mattress, ahahahaha), and say that you just don't see the poor, but here in Mendoza it is very similar; Argentines are traveling to other provinces/cities on the long weekends A LOT, and i saw a lot of people who are spending and vacationing in Cordoba/Mendoza like we're not in a gobal recession. it's very interesting to see the psychology of both sides of this, as an outside observer

i don't want to beat a dead caballo but as of Dec2023 the main lawyer on the old censored forum has continually interpreted the Tourist Visa law as preferential to overstay versus doing Border Runs here:

the old-timers will never accept it, no matter the evidence of people being denied re-entry, being deported, etc. (i've posted links of real-world stories on this and other forums many times - i don't really care if people choose to ignore the law, but i've provided evidence for what i believe is the most-accurate understanding of the Overstay question)

as long as Argentina doesn't purposely-import jihadists and islamists who want to take the Enlightenment away and impose Sharia Law, i love people coming to more-free places, but the 'free stuff for everyone' of course isn't sustainable after a certain amount of time. Chile went full Commie for a little bit, and one of my biggest inspirations Simon Black (James Hickman in real life) from SovereignMan/SchiffSovereign discussed Chile's problems here:

(a really interesting read. i've been to his giant farm in Chile and he is a super smart and talented Expat)
I have an American friend that lives in Colombia for the past 15 years and he is the same way. He doesn't speak too well. He understands quite a bit but he just can't pronounce words too well. I always joke with him like you are doing @StatusNomadicus that he still can't speak well after living in Colombia 15 years. Unfortunately he just hangs out with expats and doesn't actually use Spanish much which is a shame.

As far as the poverty rate I don't know what to believe because while I was in Argentina I traveled around and if someone told me that the majority was at poverty rate in the USA I'd expect to see more issues around society. I didn't really see that but of course I was in the most upscale neighborhoods. I am sure there are a lot of poorer areas throughout Argentina. I visited Iguazu, Salta, Bariloche and didn't see many homeless at all anywhere. I don't think everyone has cash under their mattresses but there certainly seem like a lot have $$$ saved up.

On the overstay issue or border runs I think everyone needs to do what they think is comfortable for them. I don't know anyone that has traveled with a dog/pet so I'm sure that changes things drastically. I wouldn't consider myself an old-timer at all and I am comfortable just doing some traveling in and out of Argentina every 90 days if I came for a long-term stay.

I think Argentina should get rid of free education and healthcare for foreigners.

Back