Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Argentina Rentista Visa for 2024? What is the minimum income now for retirement visa for Argentina?

it's everywhere, from Reddit to the old censored expats forum, but it stops now! :p

1. the time has come for my Precaria Renewal (renovación) - am i the first one on this forum to do this? here's the Chat Bot on Migraciones' website about the steps:

"¿Cómo renuevo mi certificado de residencia precaria?
Para solicitara la renovación de tu Certificado de Residencia Precaria, ingresá aquí [http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/consultaTramitePrecaria/ConsultaUnificada.php]. Completá los datos con tu número de expediente (figura en el margen superior izquierdo de tu Certificado de Residencia Precaria) y tu fecha de nacimiento. Seleccioná el botón Solicite la renovación de su Precaria. Dentro de los siguientes diez (10) días hábiles podrás descargarla desde la misma plataforma.
Si tenés un Permiso de Permanencia Transitorio (PPT) o un Certificado de Residencia Precaria emitido por Control de Permanencia deberás gestionar la renovación enviando un correo electrónico a: gestión.administrati@migraciones.gov.ar.
Si tenés un Certificado de Residencia Precaria emitido en un trámite Judicializado deberás gestionar la renovación enviando un correo electrónico a: extranjerosjudicializados@migraciones.gov.ar
IMPORTANTE: Excepcionalmente y atento la situación de emergencia sanitaria se dará curso a tu solicitud si te encontrás fuera del Territorio Argentino.
"

"How do I renew my Precaria residence certificate?
To request the renewal of your Precaria Residence Certificate, go here [http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/consultaTramitePrecaria/ConsultaUnifica.php]. Complete the data with your file number (it appears in the upper left corner of your Precaria Residence Certificate) and your date of birth. Select the button Request the renewal of your Precaria. Within the next ten (10) business days you will be able to download it from the same platform.
If you have a Temporary Permanence Permit (PPT) or a Precaria Residence Certificate issued by Permanence Control, you must manage the renewal by sending an email to: Gestión.administrati@migraciones.gov.ar.
If you have a Precaria Residence Certificate issued in a Judicialized procedure, you must manage the renewal by sending an email to: buenosjudicializados@migraciones.gov.ar
IMPORTANT: Exceptionally and in view of the health emergency situation, your request will be processed if you are outside the Argentine Territory."

2. okay well 15 days before the expiration date of a 90-day Precaria, a new button appeared (yes, i check every morning with coffee, for changes, since i want a DNI number). "Solicite la renovación de su Precaria" - request the renewal of your Precaria. i clicked it, and it just went to an Error message. this happened daily, although a new text box appeared recently with a "Fecha renovación Precaria" field with a date that is 15 days prior to my Precaria expiration (this must be when i clicked it first). see attachment to compare, if you're doing the same process (redacted for my privacy of course). the printable version doesn't have the colors, and the formatting is different, FYI.

3. welp, no new Precaria appeared at the 10-day-prior mark, and clicking the buttons still does nothing, so i took you guys' advice from last time and hit up the old Chat Bot on the Migraciones site. i got connected to Lorena (human) who then said that my renewal request was showing the same on her end (15 days prior submitted), and i might get an email with updates today, but if i don't, chat with them on Thursday. then, she proceeded to tell me that i should show-up for the Summons that the Cordoba Migraciones gave me. uhhhh, what? i've been on this thing like <insert simile> and i wouldn't have come to Mendoza if i wasn't done in Cordoba. she then says Cordoba lost my digital fingerprints, and pasted-in the text she could see on her side:

"PRESENTARSE EN LA DELEGACION A FIN DE REALIZAR NUEVAMENTE LA BIOMETRIA Y DEBERA PRESENTAR DOCUMENTACIóN QUE ACREDITE EL CRITERIO DE RENTISTA, TITULO DE PROPIEDAD, CONTRATO DE LOCACIóN DEL CUAL SURJA LA RENTA PERCIBIDA

“APPEAR AT THE [Cordoba] DELEGATION IN ORDER TO CARRY OUT THE BIOMETRY [fingerprints] AND YOU MUST PRESENT DOCUMENTATION THAT CREDITS THE CRITERION OF RENTIST, PROPERTY TITLE, LOCATION CONTRACT FROM WHICH THE RECEIVED INCOME ARISES"

(of note, i am doing a Bank Savings rentista application, so i'm not sure why they wrote that i have a property - i don't own any real estate)

4. supposedly if all of this clusterfuck hadn't happened, you'd be able to click on your new Precaria PDF or get it in your email before the expiration/vencimiento. but this is as far as i got, so i'll finish updating once i do all my new tasks. will i be able to do a new Certificado de Domicilio with the Mendoza police with temporary Airbnb housing? will i not need an appointment at the Mendoza Migraciones like the chat folks in Buenos Aires said? will they need some new documents that i can't possibly acquire in a week? will i be illegal next week, the exact month that i'm actively negotiating a small real estate deal for Crypto in Mendoza?? the sitcom continues ;)
This is an awesome update! Hopefully this goes through and keep us posted about the crypto deal in Mendoza.

it's everywhere, from Reddit to the old censored expats forum, but it stops now! :p

1. the time has come for my Precaria Renewal (renovación) - am i the first one on this forum to do this? here's the Chat Bot on Migraciones' website about the steps:

Para solicitara la renovación de tu Certificado de Residencia Precaria, ingresá aquí [http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/consultaTramitePrecaria/ConsultaUnificada.php]. Completá los datos con tu número de expediente (figura en el margen superior izquierdo de tu Certificado de Residencia Precaria) y tu fecha de nacimiento. Seleccioná el botón Solicite la renovación de su Precaria. Dentro de los siguientes diez (10) días hábiles podrás descargarla desde la misma plataforma.
Si tenés un Permiso de Permanencia Transitorio (PPT) o un Certificado de Residencia Precaria emitido por Control de Permanencia deberás gestionar la renovación enviando un correo electrónico a: gestión.administrati@migraciones.gov.ar.
Si tenés un Certificado de Residencia Precaria emitido en un trámite Judicializado deberás gestionar la renovación enviando un correo electrónico a: extranjerosjudicializados@migraciones.gov.ar
IMPORTANTE: Excepcionalmente y atento la situación de emergencia sanitaria se dará curso a tu solicitud si te encontrás fuera del Territorio Argentino.
"

To request the renewal of your Precaria Residence Certificate, go here [http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/consultaTramitePrecaria/ConsultaUnifica.php]. Complete the data with your file number (it appears in the upper left corner of your Precaria Residence Certificate) and your date of birth. Select the button Request the renewal of your Precaria. Within the next ten (10) business days you will be able to download it from the same platform.
If you have a Temporary Permanence Permit (PPT) or a Precaria Residence Certificate issued by Permanence Control, you must manage the renewal by sending an email to: Gestión.administrati@migraciones.gov.ar.
If you have a Precaria Residence Certificate issued in a Judicialized procedure, you must manage the renewal by sending an email to: buenosjudicializados@migraciones.gov.ar
IMPORTANT: Exceptionally and in view of the health emergency situation, your request will be processed if you are outside the Argentine Territory."

2. okay well 15 days before the expiration date of a 90-day Precaria, a new button appeared (yes, i check every morning with coffee, for changes, since i want a DNI number). "Solicite la renovación de su Precaria" - request the renewal of your Precaria. i clicked it, and it just went to an Error message. this happened daily, although a new text box appeared recently with a "Fecha renovación Precaria" field with a date that is 15 days prior to my Precaria expiration (this must be when i clicked it first). see attachment to compare, if you're doing the same process (redacted for my privacy of course). the printable version doesn't have the colors, and the formatting is different, FYI.

3. welp, no new Precaria appeared at the 10-day-prior mark, and clicking the buttons still does nothing, so i took you guys' advice from last time and hit up the old Chat Bot on the Migraciones site. i got connected to Lorena (human) who then said that my renewal request was showing the same on her end (15 days prior submitted), and i might get an email with updates today, but if i don't, chat with them on Thursday. then, she proceeded to tell me that i should show-up for the Summons that the Cordoba Migraciones gave me. uhhhh, what? i've been on this thing like <insert simile> and i wouldn't have come to Mendoza if i wasn't done in Cordoba. she then says Cordoba lost my digital fingerprints, and pasted-in the text she could see on her side:

"PRESENTARSE EN LA DELEGACION A FIN DE REALIZAR NUEVAMENTE LA BIOMETRIA Y DEBERA PRESENTAR DOCUMENTACIóN QUE ACREDITE EL CRITERIO DE RENTISTA, TITULO DE PROPIEDAD, CONTRATO DE LOCACIóN DEL CUAL SURJA LA RENTA PERCIBIDA

“APPEAR AT THE [Cordoba] DELEGATION IN ORDER TO CARRY OUT THE BIOMETRY [fingerprints] AND YOU MUST PRESENT DOCUMENTATION THAT CREDITS THE CRITERION OF RENTIST, PROPERTY TITLE, LOCATION CONTRACT FROM WHICH THE RECEIVED INCOME ARISES"

(of note, i am doing a Bank Savings rentista application, so i'm not sure why they wrote that i have a property - i don't own any real estate)

4. supposedly if all of this clusterfuck hadn't happened, you'd be able to click on your new Precaria PDF or get it in your email before the expiration/vencimiento. but this is as far as i got, so i'll finish updating once i do all my new tasks. will i be able to do a new Certificado de Domicilio with the Mendoza police with temporary Airbnb housing? will i not need an appointment at the Mendoza Migraciones like the chat folks in Buenos Aires said? will they need some new documents that i can't possibly acquire in a week? will i be illegal next week, the exact month that i'm actively negotiating a small real estate deal for Crypto in Mendoza?? the sitcom continues ;)
Thanks for sharing all of this detailed information @StatusNomadicus. It sounds like you're good progress and I admire you doing it yourself. Thanks for documenting the journey. There is almost no sharing of information on this topic which is a shame but I am glad that you're posting about it.

I am not sure why they make it so difficult. But I have heard from many people that mentioned that paperwork or digital fingerprints, etc. Even using an attorney, it seems like no one had an easy time. It's been 20 years since I went through this process but I recall that even back then they lost paperwork. Hopefully you are successful in completing this process and thanks again for documenting it.

Thanks for posting updates about this. I don't think congrats are in order yet. I have read a few posts from Americans that just gave up on the process as either they had things lost or were asked to start over for one reason or another. There was a gringo that thought he was close and I guess he gave up on the process as he was too frustrated.

I for the life of me can't understand why the government makes it so difficult. Especially when people from Venezuela or Colombia can get a DNI so easily with Mercosur. Makes no sense to me.

"

I'm sorry you have to go through all of this @StatusNomadicus. I am ashamed of my country for this. Anything in the government office is like this. Always we complain about this.

Thanks for sharing and detailing how things are for you. I read your old posts that you are here with your girlfriend. Are you both planning to have kids? If so, one easy way to get citizenship seems like to just have a child born here. I know not ideal but if you're planning on having a baby in the future you may want to have it born here. I seeing more and more Americans come here for that. This American going online and even posting how he is here on tourist visa but planning an anchor baby.

Thanks for sharing all of this detailed information @StatusNomadicus. It sounds like you're good progress and I admire you doing it yourself. Thanks for documenting the journey. There is almost no sharing of information on this topic which is a shame but I am glad that you're posting about it.

I am not sure why they make it so difficult. But I have heard from many people that mentioned that paperwork or digital fingerprints, etc. Even using an attorney, it seems like no one had an easy time. It's been 20 years since I went through this process but I recall that even back then they lost paperwork. Hopefully you are successful in completing this process and thanks again for documenting it.
It's never been easy here dealing with this. Sometimes I believe immigration purposely makes it difficult so you have to hire an immigration attorney and maybe they are paying bribes to get paperwork through. I'm not sure but it's impossible that documents are getting lost so many times.

"

4. supposedly if all of this clusterfuck hadn't happened, you'd be able to click on your new Precaria PDF or get it in your email before the expiration/vencimiento. but this is as far as i got, so i'll finish updating once i do all my new tasks. will i be able to do a new Certificado de Domicilio with the Mendoza police with temporary Airbnb housing? will i not need an appointment at the Mendoza Migraciones like the chat folks in Buenos Aires said? will they need some new documents that i can't possibly acquire in a week? will i be illegal next week, the exact month that i'm actively negotiating a small real estate deal for Crypto in Mendoza?? the sitcom continues
;)
Sorry you have to deal with this clusterfuck. Just once I would like to read someone that posts they followed all instructions and things turned out as planned and was easy but haven't come across something like this. Mostly horror stories like this.

Rentista Savings update for those attempting:

Mendoza Province Migraciones has a totally different take than Cordoba - whereas in Cordoba Province Apr2024 the supervisor was adamant about my monthly Savings Account in the USA giving FIXED income (so that i started with a Trust and then ended up setting-up automatic payments monthly for more than the 5x-salary amount in Dollars), the Mendoza Province folks told me recently that i just needed to deposit about $10,000 USD at the Official rate in Pesos to my Banco Nacional savings account, and then i'd get a DNI and 1-year temporary residency about 3 months later. whaaaaaat???

i just spend hours and hundreds of dollars getting accountants, translators, apostilles, FedEx/DHL, all notarized and everything to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that my 5x-salary amount (in Dollars) from my High-Yield Savings Account to my USA checking account would be AUTOMATIC and monthly, set-up for 2 years. now, they want me to just deposit a year's worth (so, 5x12 salaries, we'll say monthly 1.2 million Pesos x 12 months = 14.4 million Pesos yearly, or at official rate of 912 "Compra" would be 15,790 USD if my math is right, which is 35% higher than the "diez mil dólares" that the Migraciones guy in Mendoza estimated.

if it's possible to deposit Pesos using the Western Union rate for a year, it would be 1,304 ARS/Dollar right now, or just over 11,000 bucks USD. time will tell! for now, i have a new Precaria for 90 days while CABA Migraciones is slowly responding to Mendoza, about my fingerprints and monthly $ limitations.

@Betsy Ross no congratulations yet, since i might have to start all over, but yes i suspect there are some backdoor deals going on. Milei needs to hire a foreigner who got citizenship, to fire all the Peronist douchers that make this so hard to bring money and talent to live legally in Argentina.

Good luck.
thanks mang, i think i'll be qualified to be a banking translator after all this, having to explain to so many people how the money process works for us foreigners, and what Cordoba was making me set-up. i guess i should have just started in Mendoza and deposited 15 grand, because i'd probably have a DNI by now!

Do you think it was easier doing it outside of CABA?
maybe if i had picked a province and stayed, but i didn't like Cordoba city that much, and now i prefer Mendoza the most out of the 4 big cities (a drive on the outskirts of Rosario was enough for me to skip that big city). but in the end all the decisions and paperwork go through CABA anyway, and Chat happens with them. soooooo, kind of?

crypto deal in Mendoza.
it's been funny here. 'yes, we take crypto/Bitcoin'

then i meet with a Notary/escribano and talk the process. they say 'okay so you just pay 3% and get it converted into physical $100 bills USD, then give it to us'

LOL - now i've learned how to rule this out, since it's 95% of people. kinda funny to say something like "yeah we take gold bars! just go to the Pawn Shop and sell them, and pay us in cash!" - ahahahaha soooooo, you don't take Bitcoin or gold, then. got it! i understand i can sell things i own, and get money. what i'm ASKING is if you prefer Crypto over USD, since USD loses value, and crypto like BCH are deflationary ;)

thanks again for documenting it.
the credit goes to you and the Mod(s) for letting us post uncensored stuff here

why the government makes it so difficult. Especially when people from Venezuela or Colombia can get a DNI so easily with Mercosur. Makes no sense to me.
yes, and many non-traveling Argentines don't understand there is a HUGE gap between MerCoSur and everyone else, even USA. this is strange, because people in the Schengen/EuroZone understand that only Euro nations can work/live in the EU, while the rest of us basically can't do it unless you are a rocket scientist, billionaire, or marry there.

Last edited:

Mendoza Province Migraciones has a totally different take than Cordoba - whereas in Cordoba Province Apr2024 the supervisor was adamant about my monthly Savings Account in the USA giving FIXED income (so that i started with a Trust and then ended up setting-up automatic payments monthly for more than the 5x-salary amount in Dollars), the Mendoza Province folks told me recently that i just needed to deposit about $10,000 USD at the Official rate in Pesos to my Banco Nacional savings account, and then i'd get a DNI and 1-year temporary residency about 3 months later. whaaaaaat???

i just spend hours and hundreds of dollars getting accountants, translators, apostilles, FedEx/DHL, all notarized and everything to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that my 5x-salary amount (in Dollars) from my High-Yield Savings Account to my USA checking account would be AUTOMATIC and monthly, set-up for 2 years. now, they want me to just deposit a year's worth (so, 5x12 salaries, we'll say monthly 1.2 million Pesos x 12 months = 14.4 million Pesos yearly, or at official rate of 912 "Compra" would be 15,790 USD if my math is right, which is 35% higher than the "diez mil dólares" that the Migraciones guy in Mendoza estimated.

if it's possible to deposit Pesos using the Western Union rate for a year, it would be 1,304 ARS/Dollar right now, or just over 11,000 bucks USD. time will tell! for now, i have a new Precaria for 90 days while CABA Migraciones is slowly responding to Mendoza, about my fingerprints and monthly $ limitations.

@Betsy Ross no congratulations yet, since i might have to start all over, but yes i suspect there are some backdoor deals going on. Milei needs to hire a foreigner who got citizenship, to fire all the Peronist douchers that make this so hard to bring money and talent to live legally in Argentina.

thanks mang, i think i'll be qualified to be a banking translator after all this, having to explain to so many people how the money process works for us foreigners, and what Cordoba was making me set-up. i guess i should have just started in Mendoza and deposited 15 grand, because i'd probably have a DNI by now!

maybe if i had picked a province and stayed, but i didn't like Cordoba city that much, and now i prefer Mendoza the most out of the 4 big cities (a drive on the outskirts of Rosario was enough for me to skip that big city). but in the end all the decisions and paperwork go through CABA anyway, and Chat happens with them. soooooo, kind of?

then i meet with a Notary/escribano and talk the process. they say 'okay so you just pay 3% and get it converted into physical $100 bills USD, then give it to us'

LOL - now i've learned how to rule this out, since it's 95% of people. kinda funny to say something like "yeah we take gold bars! just go to the Pawn Shop and sell them, and pay us in cash!" - ahahahaha soooooo, you don't take Bitcoin or gold, then. got it! i understand i can sell things i own, and get money. what i'm ASKING is if you prefer Crypto over USD, since USD loses value, and crypto like BCH are deflationary ;)

yes, and many non-traveling Argentines don't understand there is a HUGE gap between MerCoSur and everyone else, even USA. this is strange, because people in the Schengen/EuroZone understand that only Euro nations can work/live in the EU, while the rest of us basically can't do it unless you are a rocket scientist, billionaire, or marry there.
Wow what a mess. Not surprised about them wanting cash and only cash. Once you live here a while you will see that very few things are trusted at closing besides cold hard cash.

Hi @StatusNomadicus,

Take whatever someone is saying in a governmental agency there with a grain of salt. Things can change by the person, by the day, by the manager, etc. I've found typically the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. And even the same person can tell something totally different to someone else on the very same day. Dealing with these offices can drive a person insane. Same goes for many other agencies there as well. I recently had to deal with an issue with AFIP and I was going around in circles forever. I finally had to get an attorney to threaten legal action and then the problem was resolved.
It would be good news if it were as easy as just depositing funds in a local account but be forewarned that very few things are as easy as someone might say. OR it can totally change the next day/week/month. That perhaps is the most frustrating thing about Argentina. I hope it works out for you and the information doesn't change. I'd be very surprised if it's as easy as that employee was saying or the information didn't change.

As far as the gold or bitcoin or crypto, I think you will be hard-pressed to find someone that will accept that in lieu of cash. You will get Escribanos to sign off on being ok to explain how you got the cash into Argentina but I haven't seen anyone yet that wanted gold, other assets or crypto instead of cash. You can see this WSJ article that I did from May 2013 and even then you had people trying to pay with gold bars. No one wants any of this. They want cash. Good luck @StatusNomadicus! Keep us posted on your journey.

Hi @StatusNomadicus,

Take whatever someone is saying in a governmental agency there with a grain of salt. Things can change by the person, by the day, by the manager, etc. I've found typically the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. And even the same person can tell something totally different to someone else on the very same day. Dealing with these offices can drive a person insane. Same goes for many other agencies there as well. I recently had to deal with an issue with AFIP and I was going around in circles forever. I finally had to get an attorney to threaten legal action and then the problem was resolved.
It would be good news if it were as easy as just depositing funds in a local account but be forewarned that very few things are as easy as someone might say. OR it can totally change the next day/week/month. That perhaps is the most frustrating thing about Argentina. I hope it works out for you and the information doesn't change. I'd be very surprised if it's as easy as that employee was saying or the information didn't change.

As far as the gold or bitcoin or crypto, I think you will be hard-pressed to find someone that will accept that in lieu of cash. You will get Escribanos to sign off on being ok to explain how you got the cash into Argentina but I haven't seen anyone yet that wanted gold, other assets or crypto instead of cash. You can see this WSJ article that I did from May 2013 and even then you had people trying to pay with gold bars. No one wants any of this. They want cash. Good luck @StatusNomadicus! Keep us posted on your journey.

This is 100% correct. @StatusNomadicus when I said congratulations I just meant that you are still continuing to make progress. Most people just give up. Even hiring an attorney sometimes it can take a long time and people give up. It should NOT be this difficult but it is. Dealing with government bureaucracy here is the most frustrating thing. Hopefully it is easy like that employee tells you it is.

It is great that you are documenting the journey so others can see what the process is like. Hopefully as President Milei continues over his term things like this will get easier but it's decades and decades of inefficiency and red tape. This can't be solved quickly.

Strange that all these provinces would have a different take on this issue. You would think this would be some national rule/procedure and it would all be the same. It would be great if it is that easy! And since $10,000 is the amount you can legally bring in on your flight you could probably just say you brought it in carrying it. WU would be more expensive vs. just wiring it in with cueva.

The risk of anything happening in bank accounts under Milei is really not there. @StatusNomadicus are they saying to just deposit those funds and then have the funds in a high yield account here paying 40% interest? Maybe where you are locked in? Interest rates should also be going up I would think.

What @earlyretirement is saying is true about you maybe getting a different response next week from the same person! Very frustrating here

It can't be this easy to get a DNI otherwise everyone would be already doing it. Hopefully, you found some loophole but I talked to a few immigration lawyers and none of them offered that easy of a solution. It would be hard to believe it would be that easy in Mendoza vs. CABA. But I hope it works out for you. I would get that person's contact info and probably follow up with that same person each time. Hopefully they are high enough and it's not their first day on the job. :ROFLMAO:

The minimum salary can be seen here below.

For this month it is 156,000 pesos. Multiply that by 5 = 780,000 pesos and divide by 800 (the official exchange rate) and the total is US$975 US so @Spend Thrift you need to give your assistant a raise!
Right. With the official dollar rate bumping up now it got cheaper.

This would be terrific if it is as easy as that. I would love to live in Argentina someday and reading so many posts about how difficult it is and how bad all the immigration attorneys are. And short of having a kid born there which sounds like the easiest solution things sound so complicated. Following with interest @StatusNomadicus!

Amazing how quickly things can change. It got cheaper but it sounds like give it another month or 2 or 3 and it can swing back the other way.
This is true. I first got interested in BA because a friend was telling me how dirt cheap it was. Then within 6 months she said prices almost tripled. Got a little cheaper and about double of when she first told me about it. I guess a big part of how cheap or expensive is what the blue dollar is doing.

How does anyone there manage with the yo yo of change? One thing for sure is I know I want to buy a place so I am not dependent on these price swings or getting stuck not having a place to live. Monthly condo fees still are very reasonable compared to the States.

I recently had to deal with an issue with AFIP and I was going around in circles forever.
i think if Milei's cabinet can fix this one thing - the complete lack of stability and ease in moving people and property and doing business here in Argentina - this country will be one of the most prosperous. it's got everything, except everything from flights to residencies to finance are ALL totally unknown. i took a risk moving here, but of course there are thousands of people like us who want to live here, but won't accept the annoying 'Unknowns' of Argentina. once there's an easy pathway, i think people will be coming here in droves. i know several who are watching my case closely, given the USA's decline.

very few things are trusted at closing besides cold hard cash.
for sure, i tried explaining this to the seller/notary, about how US folks don't hoard physical Dollars because we're guaranteed to lose to 2% MINIMUM inflation constantly, but i think Argentines are just happy with that loss compared to any other possibility (whereas USA folks invest in stocks/mutual funds, use treasury bonds, IRAs, precious metals, etc. to combat Dollar value loss). interesting difference, but also the middle and upper classes in Argentina with generational wealth, and paid-off homes, don't have anywhere near the expenses of USA folks in a similar class, so they don't necessarily NEED to make their Dollars 'work for them' in that sense. super different mindset. also, i would never keep physical Dollars because they can burn, get torn, etc. - precious metals are pretty hardy : )

i think i can convince the Buyer to take Bitcoin, since he does Mining and already owns some cryptos, but i'm sure he'll sell most of it for Dollars that he will keep in his other house for physical storage. he's worried about being "the first one in Mendoza Province to have an Escritura/title/deed showing anything other than Dollars, since he doesn't want attention drawn to him. my Escribanía/notary folks also have NEVER heard of anyone using Crypto - they have only heard rumors of people in CABA and Europe and USA doing it. but they're clueless other than they understand it is supposedly legal now, and they agree that a Buyer and Seller can transact on the blockchain with an immutable transaction as evidence of the payment. so, the tech and laws are there, but who will be the first to draw attention to themselves, especially with the IRS being so anti-crypto in the USA, and the AFIP-IRS supposed information sharing soon? no one knows!

You would think this would be some national rule/procedure and it would all be the same.
well, it should, but the Disposición was written without including part of the details :/

Article 3: "Asimismo, serán admisibles recursos propios depositados en cuentas bancarias en el extranjero, siempre y cuando se acreditare en forma indubitable la licitud del origen de dichos fondos."

the questions i've been trying to get actual answers to (for people who save money and want to live long-term in Argentina) are:

1. what kind of bank account abroad? because initially in CABA some lawyers were saying a Trust could work, using a bank account that deposits money monthly. then more lawyers said no, Argentine government folks don't understand Trusts and they would deny it.

2. how would the money be counted, and how does it need to enter Argentina? because Cordoba Province immigrations folks told me initially that my foreign bank account for Rentista Savings needed to be income in interest, which i discussed in another thread; i told them that would be a savings account with something over a million US Dollars, which 99% of people would never have (and billionaires don't just have millions in cash sitting in a checking/savings account, losing to inflation...maybe a 5% HYSA would be the only thing to hold liquid Dollars in).

3. does the monthly amount even need to enter Argentina? because using my US credit card on Airbnb and at restaurants and shops, i can live perfectly fine in any big city here, with a great exchange rate. why bring money in, if it isn't specifically required in the law? this is something that the government needs to remove as an 'Unknown' so the Migraciones folks can't just make stuff up.

4. when the money enters Argentina, does it need to be in a Wire transfer at the official rate, or can a paper trail from my US account to Western Union to Argentine Peso account cash deposit work? both do the same thing, with way better results for everyone involved (the residency-seeker doesn't lose money to a bank, and they have more money to spend in the country).

...and many others about the details. why is a homeowner Rentier in the USA allowed to deposit monthly into their Argentine account, and supposedly i can't do this as a Rentista Savings guy? the law is from June 2023, so there's been a year to figure all this stuff out, but the Provinces aren't on the same page as CABA (and i don't think they have autonomy about this; i think the supervisors in CABA rule over all).

i haven't used one yet, but they've quoted me 3-5% in the past for Crypto, so with a fee-free Western Union (if any location actually has the cash amount) wouldn't be that much more expensive, would it? i know nothing about the real-world results of Cuevas.

@StatusNomadicus are they saying to just deposit those funds and then have the funds in a high yield account here paying 40% interest? Maybe where you are locked in? Interest rates should also be going up I would think.
so far, everyone has just been very adamant that my "income" (paying myself with a HYSA to my USA checking account, monthly, fixed/automatic) needs to be deposited into a local bank account, and the only one so far i've been able to open with a Precaria is Banco Nación (only a Savings/ahorros account, and i think i have to wait 6 months to open a Checking/corriente account). i don't know the interest amount, and i wasn't allowed to open a USD account, only a Pesos account with a MasterCard debit card linked to it. i wish i knew someone who had experience with this, but it seems like no one has actually succeeded in Rentista Savings yet (and the Peso-depositing requirement for all Rentista seems to change depending on which Expat you ask...some say you just have to deposit a month, once per year).

It can't be this easy to get a DNI otherwise everyone would be already doing it
well, according to the Mendoza supervisor it's the last step if i want a DNI - deposit a year's worth of Argentine salary to a local Pesos bank account, and live off that money. here's some more references to bringing money into Argentina for Rentista stuff - the lawyers are doing the same thing (i consulted many, paid several for their opinions) they just hold your hand along the way until you get a DNI/residency. from the old censored forum, discussing bringing 1,300 Dollars per month via transfer into an Argentine account @Spend Thrift:

@Blockchain @enbits sure the Official Rate has always been a joke, and slightly less now, but for me i'm going to try everything i can do get the WU/Blue rate, since it's already cost me hundreds of bucks for paperwork/accountants/lawyer consults/translations/FedEx to get to this point of having 8 months legally in Argentina. losing some ~34% of my Dollars to do a transfer would be unacceptable for me, doing that monthly for 2 years straight, or 2 lump sums total before applying for citizenship. i would probably just enroll in a 4-year degree program at the University and take a couple classes until i have my 2 years in country; would be much cheaper, unless you're paying private university tuition (but even then, i don't think it would be that different, but i'd have to do the rough math if i got to that last resort. paying a lawyer would be the most expensive and still unknown, in my opinion)

Then within 6 months she said prices almost tripled. Got a little cheaper and about double of when she first told me about it.
how many times are you going to mention prices doubling and tripling? you're not even here, dude.

i've debunked the peronist crap the 5% of the commies here were repeating post-election, when they were crying about Milei winning and just made stuff up 24/7. an empanada today should cost 50 cents USD on the street just like always. of course if you want to pay $1 or $1.50 USD for a "gourmet" empanada at a fancy bakery, or a really huge one at a nice restaurant, go ahead :)

8,690 Pesos for a dozen = 725 Pesos per, divided by real-world MEP is 1233 MasterCard last night = 59 cents using a credit card using PedidosYa delivery (might have a delivery fee if you don't have Plus), but i'm sure if i walk around today i can find empanadas for anywhere from 50 cents to $2 USD depending on the quality and quantity of food. example: https://www.pedidosya.com.ar/restaurantes/mendoza/de-un-rincon-de-la-boca-cafeteria-y-panaderia-menu

02Feb: https://www.expatsba.com/threads/wh...en-its-overpriced-in-argentina.885/post-11301
08Apr: https://www.expatsba.com/threads/cr...e-mep-transaction-repo-dec2023.576/post-15042

"Argentinian empanadas are smaller than in Chile, and so are pastries, the famous facturas. They are cheap—about 50 cents each for the most common ones. Every bakery usually has an assortment" https://correresmidestino.com/ham-and-cheese-and-other-foods/

life is 1/4 to 1/2 the price in Argentina versus the USA, aside from some anomalies like milk and gasoline, but if you eat veggies and meat like me, the cost of eating/cooking is TINY compared to prices in the US.

i think if Milei's cabinet can fix this one thing - the complete lack of stability and ease in moving people and property and doing business here in Argentina - this country will be one of the most prosperous. it's got everything, except everything from flights to residencies to finance are ALL totally unknown. i took a risk moving here, but of course there are thousands of people like us who want to live here, but won't accept the annoying 'Unknowns' of Argentina. once there's an easy pathway, i think people will be coming here in droves. i know several who are watching my case closely, given the USA's decline.

for sure, i tried explaining this to the seller/notary, about how US folks don't hoard physical Dollars because we're guaranteed to lose to 2% MINIMUM inflation constantly, but i think Argentines are just happy with that loss compared to any other possibility (whereas USA folks invest in stocks/mutual funds, use treasury bonds, IRAs, precious metals, etc. to combat Dollar value loss). interesting difference, but also the middle and upper classes in Argentina with generational wealth, and paid-off homes, don't have anywhere near the expenses of USA folks in a similar class, so they don't necessarily NEED to make their Dollars 'work for them' in that sense. super different mindset. also, i would never keep physical Dollars because they can burn, get torn, etc. - precious metals are pretty hardy : )

i think i can convince the Buyer to take Bitcoin, since he does Mining and already owns some cryptos, but i'm sure he'll sell most of it for Dollars that he will keep in his other house for physical storage. he's worried about being "the first one in Mendoza Province to have an Escritura/title/deed showing anything other than Dollars, since he doesn't want attention drawn to him. my Escribanía/notary folks also have NEVER heard of anyone using Crypto - they have only heard rumors of people in CABA and Europe and USA doing it. but they're clueless other than they understand it is supposedly legal now, and they agree that a Buyer and Seller can transact on the blockchain with an immutable transaction as evidence of the payment. so, the tech and laws are there, but who will be the first to draw attention to themselves, especially with the IRS being so anti-crypto in the USA, and the AFIP-IRS supposed information sharing soon? no one knows!

well, it should, but the Disposición was written without including part of the details :/

Article 3: "Asimismo, serán admisibles recursos propios depositados en cuentas bancarias en el extranjero, siempre y cuando se acreditare en forma indubitable la licitud del origen de dichos fondos."

the questions i've been trying to get actual answers to (for people who save money and want to live long-term in Argentina) are:

1. what kind of bank account abroad? because initially in CABA some lawyers were saying a Trust could work, using a bank account that deposits money monthly. then more lawyers said no, Argentine government folks don't understand Trusts and they would deny it.

2. how would the money be counted, and how does it need to enter Argentina? because Cordoba Province immigrations folks told me initially that my foreign bank account for Rentista Savings needed to be income in interest, which i discussed in another thread; i told them that would be a savings account with something over a million US Dollars, which 99% of people would never have (and billionaires don't just have millions in cash sitting in a checking/savings account, losing to inflation...maybe a 5% HYSA would be the only thing to hold liquid Dollars in).

3. does the monthly amount even need to enter Argentina? because using my US credit card on Airbnb and at restaurants and shops, i can live perfectly fine in any big city here, with a great exchange rate. why bring money in, if it isn't specifically required in the law? this is something that the government needs to remove as an 'Unknown' so the Migraciones folks can't just make stuff up.

4. when the money enters Argentina, does it need to be in a Wire transfer at the official rate, or can a paper trail from my US account to Western Union to Argentine Peso account cash deposit work? both do the same thing, with way better results for everyone involved (the residency-seeker doesn't lose money to a bank, and they have more money to spend in the country).

...and many others about the details. why is a homeowner Rentier in the USA allowed to deposit monthly into their Argentine account, and supposedly i can't do this as a Rentista Savings guy? the law is from June 2023, so there's been a year to figure all this stuff out, but the Provinces aren't on the same page as CABA (and i don't think they have autonomy about this; i think the supervisors in CABA rule over all).

i haven't used one yet, but they've quoted me 3-5% in the past for Crypto, so with a fee-free Western Union (if any location actually has the cash amount) wouldn't be that much more expensive, would it? i know nothing about the real-world results of Cuevas.

so far, everyone has just been very adamant that my "income" (paying myself with a HYSA to my USA checking account, monthly, fixed/automatic) needs to be deposited into a local bank account, and the only one so far i've been able to open with a Precaria is Banco Nación (only a Savings/ahorros account, and i think i have to wait 6 months to open a Checking/corriente account). i don't know the interest amount, and i wasn't allowed to open a USD account, only a Pesos account with a MasterCard debit card linked to it. i wish i knew someone who had experience with this, but it seems like no one has actually succeeded in Rentista Savings yet (and the Peso-depositing requirement for all Rentista seems to change depending on which Expat you ask...some say you just have to deposit a month, once per year).

well, according to the Mendoza supervisor it's the last step if i want a DNI - deposit a year's worth of Argentine salary to a local Pesos bank account, and live off that money. here's some more references to bringing money into Argentina for Rentista stuff - the lawyers are doing the same thing (i consulted many, paid several for their opinions) they just hold your hand along the way until you get a DNI/residency. from the old censored forum, discussing bringing 1,300 Dollars per month via transfer into an Argentine account @Spend Thrift:

@Blockchain @enbits sure the Official Rate has always been a joke, and slightly less now, but for me i'm going to try everything i can do get the WU/Blue rate, since it's already cost me hundreds of bucks for paperwork/accountants/lawyer consults/translations/FedEx to get to this point of having 8 months legally in Argentina. losing some ~34% of my Dollars to do a transfer would be unacceptable for me, doing that monthly for 2 years straight, or 2 lump sums total before applying for citizenship. i would probably just enroll in a 4-year degree program at the University and take a couple classes until i have my 2 years in country; would be much cheaper, unless you're paying private university tuition (but even then, i don't think it would be that different, but i'd have to do the rough math if i got to that last resort. paying a lawyer would be the most expensive and still unknown, in my opinion)

how many times are you going to mention prices doubling and tripling? you're not even here, dude.

i've debunked the peronist crap the 5% of the commies here were repeating post-election, when they were crying about Milei winning and just made stuff up 24/7. an empanada today should cost 50 cents USD on the street just like always. of course if you want to pay $1 or $1.50 USD for a "gourmet" empanada at a fancy bakery, or a really huge one at a nice restaurant, go ahead :)

8,690 Pesos for a dozen = 725 Pesos per, divided by real-world MEP is 1233 MasterCard last night = 59 cents using a credit card using PedidosYa delivery (might have a delivery fee if you don't have Plus), but i'm sure if i walk around today i can find empanadas for anywhere from 50 cents to $2 USD depending on the quality and quantity of food. example: https://www.pedidosya.com.ar/restaurantes/mendoza/de-un-rincon-de-la-boca-cafeteria-y-panaderia-menu

02Feb: https://www.expatsba.com/threads/wh...en-its-overpriced-in-argentina.885/post-11301
08Apr: https://www.expatsba.com/threads/cr...e-mep-transaction-repo-dec2023.576/post-15042

"Argentinian empanadas are smaller than in Chile, and so are pastries, the famous facturas. They are cheap—about 50 cents each for the most common ones. Every bakery usually has an assortment" https://correresmidestino.com/ham-and-cheese-and-other-foods/

life is 1/4 to 1/2 the price in Argentina versus the USA, aside from some anomalies like milk and gasoline, but if you eat veggies and meat like me, the cost of eating/cooking is TINY compared to prices in the US.
Thank you for documenting all of this! It is all so complicated. I am figuring out the immigration lawyers all suck. I have emailed a few and no one gets back even after 2 weeks. Luckily it is easy to just overstay here so I will try that for a while until I figure out what to do. It seems like the laws are set up here where they accept foreigners and allow them to live there forever. I just saw the President Milei telling ALL Venezuelans they are free to live in Argentina and inviting millions to come. If it's easy for them I figure it would be easy for me as an American to stay too.

Argentina is a wonderful country but too many people that don't understand the country end up leaving after a few years. I have seen it happen. You can't have prosperity with triple digit inflation, laws that don't work, rampant corruption, banking system in chaos, CEPO, high taxes and on and on and on.

Most people coming from first-world countries won't be able to adjust to all of these problems. Argentina has been ok for people with savings in dollars and maybe on pensions or other fixed income. But people who want to start businesses here or look for good job opportunities will quickly move back. These things don't work now. Hopefully, it will be fixed one day but it isn't now. So even if hoards of people come now they will probably not stay until these things are fixed which probably won't be quick.

Can't say I believe that people will move away too quickly from cash. Sure it will happen but I have friends that have sold properties throughout the years including recently and they all want cash.

Back