Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Argentina Rentista Visa for 2024? What is the minimum income now for retirement visa for Argentina?

That fee for Americans entering Argentina was silly. Argentina definitely needs tourist income so that was not smart. Good they got rid of it. I would guess that if Argentina continues on with their progress and if Trump gets elected, within 2 years they will probably remove restrictions for Argentines to get a visa to go to the U.S.A.
Lets pray for that!

about a third
i've been telling my friends/family that for most things and overall, Argentina in dollars is 1/4 or 1/2 - but sometimes i'll find some screaming deals like Sweet Potatoes for 700 pesos/kg (25 cents a pound) or cheap boneless pork or beef for 4000 pesos/kg ($1.50 USD/pound) that are WAY cheaper than that. i'm certainly not unbiased, and i despise the zealotry of the Marxists, but if you need any info about Cordoba or Mendoza, i'm your guy! i might have some questions on life/costs of CABA, since i'm out of the loop there, with no plans of coming back (Patagonia is calling me this December)

BowtiedMara
yeah he's got some good info, like:

but keep in mind that the MEP was 1011 ARS/Dollar around Dec2023 when Milei took over, and it's now 1307 (not to mention the Blue Dollar increase), so spending in Dollars has usually been good, and the past 3 months have been so nice to see Menus with prices listed. now i only see prices go up like once a month, and when i get here in Nov2023 the menus either didn't have prices or there was White-Out that had to be changed sometimes same-day.

but again, WHAT prices have done a 2X in dollars in the past year? rent is still cheap for a regular apartment, empanadas are still 50 cents, etc. - next time they tell you what has doubled, get the actual place and date and item, so i can track it. there is a thing at nice restaurants and other business called a "stupid tax" or tourist tax, where if you put your prices mega-high, some upper-class aristocrats will pay anything just to get the status symbol of going there. think about clubs with $100 cover charges in Scottsdale Arizona, or Don Julio's $120 USD steaks so that people could say they ate there. or nice Michelin Star restaurants with $20 USD bottles of water. there's a term for this in marketing that i forget, where you price something ridiculously high and some people will want it. if your small sample size of friends in Palermo are living a luxury life, that has nothing to do with the 95% regular expats like us, nor the 80% of regular Agrentines who don't have multiple houses in multiple countries (there are some RICH mofos all over Argentina with BMWs and Ford Raptors and expensive tastes)

insurance
agreed that insurance has gone up - i suspect it will balance-out once more companies are allowed to trade here. but i disagree that most people need health insurance...with private medical care so cheap, why pay huge premiums? if someone needs 10 prescriptions filled monthly, why are they choosing to not exercise and get sun and eat whole foods? the Expats in their 20s-50s certainly don't need to be going to a doctor all the time, or popping pills with side-effects. i haven't had health insurance since the beginning of 2022 and i just pay to get my teeth cleaned and if i want to get my blood checked every few years, i can pay for that (my next test is to do a Testosterone panel, out of curiosity due to the growing literature about low-T aging effects).

transient stage of constantly moving around
awww, come on! doing a 3-month stay at an apartment is cool - you see an area and then move to a new one, new friends, new gym, new restaurants. i have a backpack to my name and my dog has his own bag - why would i settle down for 1-2 years and choose to pay weird HOA/condo fees? i can just book an Airbnb for mid-term and all that is priced-in when i accept the Host's offer.

for me, choosing to live in an HOA is silly and not my style. it's certainly not required, and you can opt-out when it gets bad enough.

agreed on utilities and all that; now Argentina joins the rest of the world (like i mentioned previously) in being conscious of power/gas/water usage, and choosing to invest in insulation and better window panes (so many houses have huge windows - that's just hemorrhaging power costs in the winter and summer - hope they like how nice it looks when their bills arrive)

if utilities were skyrocketing in dollars i would be paying more than i was in Nov2023. on the contrary, i have found cheaper and cheaper deals on Airbnb, starting at 1,000 USD and now i'm paying 600 USD and working toward 400 USD as a goal. if utilities of these places were massive, the owners would raise prices, but with the new influx of once-vacant rental properties coming onto the market, we as consumers win, since Landlords have to compete with more supply.

us Argentinians for going to the states as a tourist need to apply for a visa,
i'm very certain the locals working at the US Embassy get a LOT of money from Argies wanting to get visas. i wish the USA would make it fair. the Blockchain tech opportunities for transparent visas are outstanding. but with millions of illegals from all over the world coming in, now the law-abiding Argentine folks wanting to vacation or work in the USA suffer :/

you guys should ABSOLUTELY not have to pay a fee, and should have a visa lottery that isn't corrupt.

Also specifically for US lets not forget that us Argentinians for going to the states as a tourist need to apply for a visa, some friends of mine and myself got rejected for no specific reason. And the amount of things you have to do to apply for it makes you don't wanna try again so maybe there's a hidden reciprocity going on here, I guess the better the relationships between the countries, the easier is to get a visa.

In 2017 Macri made the first step by removing the reciprocity fee for US travelers. But then Trump got elected in the states and Alberto Frenandez in Argentina so the relationships cooled off. Maybe now with Milei-Trump things will make some progress?

Article excerpt:
You aren't alone @enbits. I have 3 friends from Buenos Aires that all have jobs. They have remote jobs but are declaring their income on monitributo system and they all got rejected for visas for the USA to visit me. That is very strange to me because our borders are flooded with illegal migrants that they are just allowing in. They said that the employees at the Embassy weren't friendly and lots of paperwork and still got rejected just to visit. That ain't right.

@StatusNomadicus I think when people say HOA fee they don't mean it like our HOA fees in the USA where we can pick and choose properties that don't have HOA. I think they just mean monthly condo administration bills which almost all apartments in Buenos Aires have. It's not the same as our definition of HOA. All my local friends renting apartments in BA all have monthly expenses as I understand it, almost all properties there have them except on homes or PH properties that are like townhouses with no building administration.

You aren't alone @enbits. I have 3 friends from Buenos Aires that all have jobs. They have remote jobs but are declaring their income on monitributo system and they all got rejected for visas for the USA to visit me. That is very strange to me because our borders are flooded with illegal migrants that they are just allowing in. They said that the employees at the Embassy weren't friendly and lots of paperwork and still got rejected just to visit. That ain't right.

@StatusNomadicus I think when people say HOA fee they don't mean it like our HOA fees in the USA where we can pick and choose properties that don't have HOA. I think they just mean monthly condo administration bills which almost all apartments in Buenos Aires have. It's not the same as our definition of HOA. All my local friends renting apartments in BA all have monthly expenses as I understand it, almost all properties there have them except on homes or PH properties that are like townhouses with no building administration.
That would really suck not being able to get a tourist visa to visit the US. I haven't run into that. Most of my girlfriend's friends all have an EU passport too. I didn't even think that Argentines had a difficult time with getting a tourist visa.

All my local friends renting apartments in BA all have monthly expenses as I understand it,
i have never paid these directly, because i find affordable places on Airbnb that include the expenses - sure, if an Argentine is renting for 1 year, they have been getting a price-controlled rent that is MUCH cheaper than you or i would pay, and they probably handle the utilities and fees directly; they're still paying much less than us on Airbnb, so HOA fees going up is still irrelevant, since everything is still wildly cheap in dollars.

I didn't even think that Argentines had a difficult time with getting a tourist visa.
stand outside the US Embassy in CABA during business hours and look at the line. it's horrible what they make them go through, standing without a bathroom and not letting them come in with phones or anything.

i have never paid these directly, because i find affordable places on Airbnb that include the expenses - sure, if an Argentine is renting for 1 year, they have been getting a price-controlled rent that is MUCH cheaper than you or i would pay, and they probably handle the utilities and fees directly; they're still paying much less than us on Airbnb, so HOA fees going up is still irrelevant, since everything is still wildly cheap in dollars.

stand outside the US Embassy in CABA during business hours and look at the line. it's horrible what they make them go through, standing without a bathroom and not letting them come in with phones or anything.
Nah in Airbnbs there are no expenses involved. Those owners have the opportunity to just increase the nightly price as needed. Yes long term rentals are less than Airbnb rentals and now the new contracts are mostly inflation adjusted unless the contract is in dollars.

Luckily I haven't had to go to the US Embassy in a while. The last time I went I had an appointment so I could skip the long line. Many people get rejected for tourists visas especially single people as there must be an assumption they are more likely to just stay in the US.

Yes long term rentals are less than Airbnb rentals and now the new contracts are mostly inflation adjusted unless the contract is in dollars.
yep, and with Airbnb being so cheap and so many on the market, easy enough to just book it for 1-6 months on Airbnb if you don't mind paying the 15% fees. all under $600 USD/month with a credit card in CABA where i would live:

1. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/687018221863247249
2. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/41177629
3. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/802273670532371372
4. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/734607826936527522
5. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1021892411423440732
6. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/981009510090926457

i just want to emphasize, again, these people complaining about rent prices doubling in Dollars are either lying (sources above; hundreds of listings in trendy walkable areas) or they were paying a subsidized and rent-increased-controlled place in Pesos that was SO CHEAP that the landlords may have been losing money at some points. this is government housing in a sense, so i just can't find any way to see how these people paying for long-term rentals (how big of a place? what were the total costs per month in Dollars? how long did they get locked-in with government-enforced prices?) at insanely low rents have any credibility when they tell would-be Expats that ThEiR eXpEnSeS hAvE tRiPlED - evidence needed for such a big claim. not wanting to move within a year is a choice, sorry! that is a convenience you will pay if you don't own a place, and don't have connections with family/friends to get a stable and cheap place. renting from a stranger long-term has a lot of benefits and costs with that convenience of being able to settle-down for 1+ years. hiring an Uber to move my small amount of belongings and 90-pound dog costs $10 USD every 3 months...and i get to see shitload more of the city. Expat life isn't for 95% of humans, and getting deals on cheap housing isn't for most Expats, so we all choose to pay according to our desired stability/convenience. economics rant, over

here's a 2021 price increase for the commies/Peronists reading who are inevitably going to find some way to say something-something-Milei's-fault

Does anyone happen to have that website link you can check the date y ou entered Argentina? There was a website someone posted before. Maybe it was @StatusNomadicus? Since the passports aren't stamped anymore I need to see when I first entered. I did a search but I couldn't find it. Thanks.
There is a lot of information on this thread. Although I think you need to know the date you entered. Maybe look on your airline website where you bought the ticket. Once you enter that details you can find when it expires.

Does anyone happen to have that website link you can check the date y ou entered Argentina? There was a website someone posted before. Maybe it was @StatusNomadicus? Since the passports aren't stamped anymore I need to see when I first entered. I did a search but I couldn't find it. Thanks.
Here is the link I think you're looking for but you need to know your arrival date.

Here is the link I think you're looking for but you need to know your arrival date.

Thanks @Betsy Ross and @Vince. Yes, this is it. OK, darn I thought I just had to fill in my passport details and it would tell me my last entry. I will look and see if I can find it on the airline website.

that is the correct link ending in /Transitos, which was shared on the old censored forum:

...and yeah since it's pretty private info, you need to know the exact date you arrived (for me arrival date was the day after my red-eye flight, of course). i don't know of any way to look it up without that unless you knew a week timeframe and just kept trying dates 7 times. but 'm certain anyone in 2024 coming to Argentina has some sort of electronic record from the flight, lodging, credit card spends at airport, ATM, or dozens of other ways to backtrack. my workout log usually has the last day i exercised in one area, and the first run of a new place, which i've used sometimes to remember when i traveled, when i was sick, etc. :p

you might even have the last boarding pass on your Wallet app on your phone. or a luggage tag with the date. or texts/emails when you were on a layover, on the way! i'm sure you found it already @MikeRoss :) once i found mine, i saved the PDF on my laptop, and also emailed it as an attachment to myself with a title/category/folder i could easily find.

that is the correct link ending in /Transitos, which was shared on the old censored forum:

...and yeah since it's pretty private info, you need to know the exact date you arrived (for me arrival date was the day after my red-eye flight, of course). i don't know of any way to look it up without that unless you knew a week timeframe and just kept trying dates 7 times. but 'm certain anyone in 2024 coming to Argentina has some sort of electronic record from the flight, lodging, credit card spends at airport, ATM, or dozens of other ways to backtrack. my workout log usually has the last day i exercised in one area, and the first run of a new place, which i've used sometimes to remember when i traveled, when i was sick, etc. :p

you might even have the last boarding pass on your Wallet app on your phone. or a luggage tag with the date. or texts/emails when you were on a layover, on the way! i'm sure you found it already @MikeRoss :) once i found mine, i saved the PDF on my laptop, and also emailed it as an attachment to myself with a title/category/folder i could easily find.
Thanks @StatusNomadicus. I did find the flight info and it worked. Does anyone know how I can get all my incoming and outgoing flight info history? Can that be done online??

Hello @MikeRoss, the process of obtaining the full history of entries and exits from migration is called "certification of migratory movements." You can obtain this online or in person at the migration office, but you must meet certain requirements. Here’s the information and the link to do it online.

Migration Movement Certification can be done in person at the immigration office or online, provided certain requirements are met:

What Do You Need?

Valid Document:

National ID (DNI) or Passport
Identity Card from your country of origin or Certificate of Nationality
You can also attach additional supporting documents if available, such as a Police Federal or Provincial Identity Card and/or any other National Document that is no longer valid but proves residence in the country.
Proof of Address:

Certificate of Residence or a utility bill in the name of the applicant that verifies the actual address.
All documents must be scanned from the originals.

Legalizations:

Documents issued abroad by a MERCOSUR member country must be endorsed by the Argentine Consular Authority in the issuing country or "apostilled" according to the Hague Convention or certified by the Consulate of the issuing country in Argentina. These documents do not require translation if they are in Portuguese.

Documents issued abroad by a non-MERCOSUR country must be endorsed by the Argentine Consular Authority in the issuing country or "apostilled" according to the Hague Convention and also translated by a certified public translator and legalized by the appropriate professional association.

Note: The National Directorate of Migration may request additional documentation if deemed necessary. Before starting the certificate application, make sure to have one of the following credentials: MiAnses, DNI and your transaction number, MI ARGENTINA, AFIP (level 3 key). There is a fee for the process: each Certificate of Migration Movements requested from 01/01/2005 to the present will be charged per calendar year requested.

Hello @MikeRoss, the process of obtaining the full history of entries and exits from migration is called "certification of migratory movements." You can obtain this online or in person at the migration office, but you must meet certain requirements. Here’s the information and the link to do it online.

Migration Movement Certification can be done in person at the immigration office or online, provided certain requirements are met:

What Do You Need?

Valid Document:

National ID (DNI) or Passport
Identity Card from your country of origin or Certificate of Nationality
You can also attach additional supporting documents if available, such as a Police Federal or Provincial Identity Card and/or any other National Document that is no longer valid but proves residence in the country.
Proof of Address:

Certificate of Residence or a utility bill in the name of the applicant that verifies the actual address.
All documents must be scanned from the originals.

Legalizations:

Documents issued abroad by a MERCOSUR member country must be endorsed by the Argentine Consular Authority in the issuing country or "apostilled" according to the Hague Convention or certified by the Consulate of the issuing country in Argentina. These documents do not require translation if they are in Portuguese.

Documents issued abroad by a non-MERCOSUR country must be endorsed by the Argentine Consular Authority in the issuing country or "apostilled" according to the Hague Convention and also translated by a certified public translator and legalized by the appropriate professional association.

Note: The National Directorate of Migration may request additional documentation if deemed necessary. Before starting the certificate application, make sure to have one of the following credentials: MiAnses, DNI and your transaction number, MI ARGENTINA, AFIP (level 3 key). There is a fee for the process: each Certificate of Migration Movements requested from 01/01/2005 to the present will be charged per calendar year requested.
Thank you! I will check it out.

Does anyone know how I can get all my incoming and outgoing flight info history?
what do you mean, like official stuff from Argentina's national gov't? sounds like @Adamm has what you need. but for your entries, if you flew, then again you absolutely have emails and texts and many ways to find out the dates. if i was in CABA (or wherever you are), i could help out, but i'm sure you have a tech-savvy or well-traveled family/friend who can do some searching. for instance, in my Gmail, i can use the Search bar with "in:inbox EZE" and there aren't many results other than my flight stuff to Buenos Aires. not sure your exact situation, but for sure someone you know can find this out for you unless many catastrophic things happened all at the same time to your email/phone/etc.

what do you mean, like official stuff from Argentina's national gov't? sounds like @Adamm has what you need. but for your entries, if you flew, then again you absolutely have emails and texts and many ways to find out the dates. if i was in CABA (or wherever you are), i could help out, but i'm sure you have a tech-savvy or well-traveled family/friend who can do some searching. for instance, in my Gmail, i can use the Search bar with "in:inbox EZE" and there aren't many results other than my flight stuff to Buenos Aires. not sure your exact situation, but for sure someone you know can find this out for you unless many catastrophic things happened all at the same time to your email/phone/etc.
It used to be easier when they stamped your passport as you had a clear history of exactly when you entered and exited. Back when I was coming and going so much I would fly on different airlines and couldn't remember all of the flights but I had entry and exit stamps. I do know there is a method to get a history of all of the entry/exit and it sounds like Adam pointed it out. A friend had to do that but I have never done it.

It used to be easier when they stamped your passport as you had a clear history of exactly when you entered and exited. Back when I was coming and going so much I would fly on different airlines and couldn't remember all of the flights but I had entry and exit stamps. I do know there is a method to get a history of all of the entry/exit and it sounds like Adam pointed it out. A friend had to do that but I have never done it.
I believe is the 'Certificado de Movimientos Migratorios' the one you are talking about. https://www.argentina.gob.ar/servicio/certificaciones

FYI it looks like Argentina is going to start getting more difficult on getting Citizenship and I would guess they will make it more difficult for getting Permanent Residency as well in the future. Looking at all the problems with mass immigration by other countries around the world, Argentina probably wants to get ahead of this issue.

Getting residency here will probably get more difficult too. It is too easy now and it's also too easy to overstay tourist visas. As the economy improves here my guess is they will get tougher on it.

Back